Eddie Van Halen (1955-2020)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen-1955-2020.html

12 Likes

RIP Eddie. Take a chunk of my teenage years with you when you go - they were always yours.

30 Likes

Ooof, as a Metal and Hard Rock fan, this feels like a kick in the guts. RIP Eddie.

24 Likes

van halen changed my world. this one hits hard.

fun (for me) fact: i lived in Littleton when they filmed Over The Edge. i love that movie. it really did capture the look of us kids and the music of high school at that time, plus it’s full of places that trigger memories for me.

22 Likes

Rest in Peace.

This does not make want to ‘Jump.’

24 Likes

2020 continues to kick us in the teeth. What a loss of talent, especially at such a young age.

26 Likes

RIP Eddie, You were the very best.

14 Likes

Dude… :cry:

18 Likes

The articles always bring up “Eruption”, but the opening to this was always my favorite:

Just crying out for a modern beat: Phantogram should take a stab at it.

14 Likes

You Really Got Me” kicks ASS, and Eddie’s solo in “Beat It” is still up there.

I think there’ll be a lot of favourites in this thread, but nobody is going to say “That ones crap.”
Well, until Sammy Hagar, anyway… :smirk:

22 Likes

I feel confident there are some great riffs on the Sammy-era albums too: I’m going to have to steal the USB Blu-ray player this evening.

8 Likes

There totally are - I just preferred Dave :grin:

15 Likes

I really thought 2016 was a selfish dick, but 2020 just keeps making the universe worse.

Rest well, Eddie.

17 Likes

Truly the day the music died.

3 Likes

Not the clip I was looking for, but still…

The part I was thinking of starts about 1 minute in:

I knew the Van Halens were Dutch but I didn’t know all of this.

22 Likes

This is worth [re]reading:

12 Likes

RIP
I got to see the Frankenstrat while it was briefly displayed at the Hollywood, CA Guitar Center about a decade ago. That guitar was beat to hell.
Clapton and Eddie are my all time favorite guitarists. I used to teach guitar before my current career.

12 Likes

Happy trails partner. RIP Eddie. :guitar:

5 Likes

Something signature about that opening. It also struck me a perfect. RIP EVH

4 Likes

Over the Edge really is the best movie of all time. I remember watching the party scene and going “that is exactly like the parties we had”

2 Likes