Anti-apartheid archbishop Desmond Tutu dead at 90

Originally published at: Anti-apartheid archbishop Desmond Tutu dead at 90 | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Actually got to hear him speak at our church and meet him (briefly). He was just as lovely a person as you can imagine. Rest in peace with the saints in light.

21 Likes

In western media Tutu was omnipresent as the face of the anti-Apartheird movement while Mandela was in prison. When Mandela got out the focus shifted to him of course, and Tutu pretty much disappeared from the narrative. Given that when Mandela died, I heard people say “who?” I can only imagine how few people know of Tutu. I’m pretty sure I assumed he died long ago since I really haven’t heard him mentioned for 30 years.

Also I always thought he was older than Mandela for some reason, when in fact he was about 12 years younger.

6 Likes

Tutu was probably the best example in my lifetime of a religious leader who embodied the best qualities of what his faith was supposed to stand for.

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission was an ingenious approach to maintaining a functional society through a major social upheaval without diminishing the seriousness of the previous regime’s crimes.

18 Likes

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

The man was a real force for good in the world.

17 Likes
22 Likes

He seemed like a good man; and, of course, he lent his name to a second class degree. A 2.2 was generally known as a Desmond.

6 Likes

One of the staunchest most ardent fighters for LGBT rights in organized religion. RIP.

7 Likes

I think he’d have laughed at that too.

8 Likes

Tutu was so wonderful. Thanks for posting that video. It made me cry happy tears.

1 Like

here’s Lucky People Center making music of one of his speeches.

sorry the quality is so bad

I hope that sentiment was also represented among the theologians NASA consulted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.