Former Pope Joseph Ratzinger dead at 95

Originally published at: Former Pope Joseph Ratzinger dead at 95 | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The only way I could be happier is if there actually was a hell.

21 Likes

no tears here.
sleep with the Ratz, nazi fuck.

20 Likes

I’ll believe that the Catholic church cares about anything other than sitting on their hoard of gold if they can prove to me that they care about children after they’re born. They could singlehandedly solve childhood hunger if their flock of sheep demanded it.

21 Likes

I thought it said John Ratzenberger.

13 Likes

Yeah me too. I was momentarily upset.

18 Likes

his virtually unprecedented resignation in 2013

Not wanting to face the consequences for his complicity in enabling paedophiles was a big motivating factor.

Along with Pius XII, one of the worst Popes of the modern era.

24 Likes

I can’t be too mad about him being in the Nazi youth, as it was compulsory (I don’t know if there was evidence of him being enthusiastic about it, so if so, that would be different), but I am mad about his role in moving around pedophile priests in Germany. So yeah… no tears.

Yep.

27 Likes

But thirty years from now, J.J. Abrams will reveal that he never really died at all, and that Rey is really his granddaughter.

8 Likes

Oh, the things Chico could tell us.

6 Likes

As long as they made sure…

13 Likes

Yeah, the Nazi thing is unfair. The rest of it, I mean, he was an intellectual who was never cut out for a leadership role and consequently fucked it up. He should have stayed a professor of theology, I think he would have been happier and the world would have been, too.

10 Likes

He actively suppressed and labeled as heresy the leftist Liberation theologians doing work to counter US economic imperialism in Latin America. Nazi or not, he was a right wing flashy asshole, even for a Pope.

21 Likes

Well, yeah

4 Likes

C’mon, the church has spent decades carefully protecting a crack team of people who care a lot about children.

2 Likes

Joseph Ratzinger’s death (2022, colourised):

8 Likes

Imagine just a small truthful change in the headline:

Former Pope Joseph Ratzinger found dead at 95

Makes it seem…suspicious.

3 Likes

goodbye, Joey Ratz

3 Likes

There isn’t; Joseph Ratzinger and his family were opposed to Hitler, and he had a cousin w. Down’s syndrome killed by the Nazi government. It’s a baseless bit of slander.

Which is annoying, since there’s plenty about his actual positions, actions, and more damningly inactions re: the sexual abuse by clergy, to criticize.

6 Likes

I’m not sure why you’re explaining this to me, as that’s pretty much exactly what I said, minus the part about his family opposing the nazis… :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes