Anti-Trans legislator is schooled on his ignorance and cruelty

Originally published at: Anti-Trans legislator is schooled on his ignorance and cruelty | Boing Boing

17 Likes

This guy was begging for it. He just sat there. Why didn’t he just didn’t yell something, anything, and run out, I’ll never know.

3 Likes

I’m not saying he wasn’t correct, but his argument still fell upon deaf ears. :rage:

12 Likes

Which guy was begging for what? Who just sat there? (Both protagonists were standing.) Who should have yelled something (like, what?) and run out of there?

I have absolutely no idea what your point was.

5 Likes

Don’t you think the legislator had very little to say in response to the person challenging him?

What I heard in your comment is that the Republican was so dumbstruck that he didn’t immediately run to the common points of refuge; badgering, screaming, gish galloping and refusing to acknowledge valid points. Which I attribute entirely to Meredith’s thoughtful, calm, but persistent counterpoints that come from preparedness and research that is not based on cherry-picking. That Nazi connection to the Hirschfeld clinic was masterful and put him on his back heel immediately. He allowed his opponent (such as he was), to answer the questions first, knowing that he couldn’t, then blasted him with the historical reality that framed him as the same class of idiots who allowed the Holocaust to happen.

Man, that was really refreshing. I can’t blame people for being angry and losing their cool, but that was a master class.

ETA: A more in-depth telling of the Hirschfeld clinic hat I’m ashamed to say I was unaware of until today. That lead pic is just majestic.

16 Likes

He was not sufficiently prepared to address the points made by the person challenging him, for sure. But I’d have had a hard time parsing that from your post.
Especially as he did have some things to say in response, even if it was not much and was inadequate.

And often enough these bigoted fuckwits do just sit there and say nothing and then ignore whatever has just been said to them and/or spout some more of their ill-informed bigotry.

5 Likes

Republicans always take their complete ignorance of the facts of an issue as license to enact repressive laws regarding it.

9 Likes

“No bill is perfect.” is the most weaselly response possible. It is quite intentionally a non-argument that can be applied to any concern about anything.

10 Likes

I merely sponsored the bill. I didn’t write or read it.

Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

6 Likes

“His refusal to listen eventually tires Merideth out.”

It is unfortunate that “not listening” takes so much less energy than “explaining”.

6 Likes

wow, props to Merideth. i don’t know how he remained so calm and clear. ugh, what a horrible bill.

7 Likes

That ‘lack of understanding’ is merely feigned.
They bloody well know they are causing harm & DGAFF about what the opposition says or thinks.

7 Likes

Then it’s probably the product of a christo-fascist bill mill, and similar versions will be appearing in other states.

5 Likes

Did I hear Representative Merideth correctly when he referred to Re. Patterson as a doctor? Doctor of what, exactly? Is it an honorary title, perhaps? He sure didn’t seem to have much medical knowledge. Not an endocrinologist, but you’re not aware of the existence of these other conditions? And you’re going to decide the fate of others – that’s just ducky.

5 Likes

Just because you’ve somehow obtained a medical degree doesn’t mean you really know what you’re doing sometimes. :man_shrugging:

No offense, @docosc . You I’d trust over most medical practitioners.

7 Likes

Film Independent Quinta Brunson GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

:grin:

2 Likes

… is that what we’re supposed to do in response to criticism :confused: Have I been doing it wrong?

3 Likes

It’s the Dr Zoidberg defense, ink n’ run.

7 Likes

ezgif-5-a2bdb4201b

2 Likes