Anti-Trump billboards featuring Republicans who switched

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/25/anti-trump-billboards-featuring-republicans-who-switched.html

6 Likes

I’m a former Trump voter. I’m a patriot.

The only thing that can conceivably make you a patriot is not voting for Trump. If you still support just about anything he did, you’re not and never were one.

24 Likes

Those are 4 brave individuals. Not sure if I’d want my giant mugshot on a billboard given how unstable and well armed a lot of Trump supporters are.

21 Likes

“A man came up to me with tears in his eyes, a big, strong man, a veteran, and he said, Sir, I’m voting for Harris…”

35 Likes

Bravery is what’s called for in a fight against authoritarian thugs. We never supported Il Douche so we weren’t put in the position of making this choice; they were and did the right thing.

20 Likes

That was honestly my first thought. Damn, that’s dangerous.

11 Likes

I’m very worried for these people’s safety, and their families. We know that his cult can be easily swayed to act out violently.

8 Likes

All in all, this is still a Republican PAC. Are there indications that these people actually said those things, or even that they’re people and not AI generated?

9 Likes

Wouldn’t it be more effective to feature people like Bolton, Kelly, McMaster, Tillerson, etc., who actually worked for Trump? They may not have said that they are voting for Harris but featuring actual quotes about Trump would be educational for a lot of Faux News viewers out there. If I was running one of these PACs I would be putting billboards outside every U.S. military base with quotes from General Kelly about Trump.

Past quotes from other Republicans like Vance and Haley would also be effective. Oh, I forgot about Pence!

12 Likes

You’d certainly think so, right? To me one of the most damning arguments against Trump is that so many people who were hired by him, worked closely with him, are extremely conservative, and agreed with his agenda, have come out and said that the man is too dangerous and needs to be kept out of power for the sake of our democracy. But somehow that argument doesn’t seem to have had much effect so far. I guess his supporters basically assume that any Republican who disagrees with Trump is by definition a RINO traitor who isn’t worth listening to.

9 Likes

I don’t think so. The “Deep State” got to all those people.

These billboards feature “regular voters” like the people they are trying to influence. Psychologically, that should be more powerful.

7 Likes

Traditional perception of the military as a bastion of conservatism may be aging out, at least among the enlisted troops. I’m a veteran and get my medical care from a VA hospital on an active military base. You certainly have your older, short sighted vets there (“so hey, tell me again which party was it that slashed the VA budget?” gets you no where, of course), but they’re starting to be outnumbered by the younger vets and active duty that don’t think the same way. (Calling them ‘liberal’ may not always be right, but they don’t seem to be traditionally conservative either.)

11 Likes

This. The modern US military is way more diverse than what people think it is. My work sometimes takes me to both VA and military hospitals. You couldn’t tell them demographically from the university hospitals they are often located next to.

12 Likes

It was really getting so as my dad was reaching his retirement age from the reserves.

9 Likes

Michael Harriot at the Grio points out that Project 2025 includes policies to de-diversify the US military.

11 Likes

I would argue that maybe what they are is conservative, which aligns them more with the Democratic Party these days, instead of the fascist party that falsely refers to itself as ‘conservative’.

13 Likes

That’s certainly possible or possibly even something that breaks the old spectrum? I know the only time I have any real issue with how I’m treated there as a trans person is from older (by which I mean my own age!) doctors or admins, and that’s more that I have to correct pronouns far more than I should instead of hostility.

10 Likes

They all are really George Santos.

5 Likes

Who cares? It‘s a really clever idea to present gun owners, veterans, patriots and Republicans voting for Harris.

3 Likes

… there’s no way for us to verify that those are even real people, but I suppose the target audience doesn’t worry about such things :thinking:

3 Likes