Anti-Vaxx actor denies science, calls California Gov. a 'fascist'

In particle physics, significance is set at 5 sigma—a p value of 3 × 10–7 or 1 in 3·5 million (if the result is not true, this is the probability that the data would have been as extreme as they are).

Then this is obiigatory.

15 Likes

I know, right? He’s amazing.

29 Likes

Welp, the ableist child-murderers are out in full force…

1 Like

Seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone of

https://twitter.com/DrugPackagesBot

KILL ALL THE CHILLEN!!!

FTFY

EDIT: Wait, wait wait! I was thinking headline writer Corey, not actor-who-once-bumped-uglies-with-McCarthy Jim Carey. Must be that mercury-laden ibuprofen horsepill I took earlier. Ignore me and carry on, please.

This felt too timely not to offer here.

4 Likes

Carrey for, Cory against.

Was there an edit to the original post?

1 Like
1 Like

Great, I see you’ve just allowed yourself an excuse not to read it.

I think you failed to see my point. There’s enough articles out there for people to formulate any one of a myriad of opinions by doing a simple search.

What you’re feeling looks exactly like what conservatives feel when celebrities pontificate about anything they don’t agree with.

Peoples’ (in the US) attitudes about science is completely mixed and sometimes contradictory. Trust in both Science and the Government is completely important when you make a medical procedure mandatory.

Here’s a quote from the recent Newsweek article on water fluoridation:

“When you have a public health intervention that’s applied to everybody, the burden of evidence to know that people are likely to benefit and not to be harmed is much higher, since people can’t choose,”

That’s the point - You (the individual) no longer have any say about your body, except it or pay the consequences.

Can you now see where someone might use the word Fascism?

I read it. I saw she’s still repeating the baseless claims on her website that vaccines cause autism (which, again, one, isn’t true, and two, so fucking what).

And no, I can’t see why a reasonable person would use Fascism to describe a desire to not have dead children in the streets from preventable diseases, while openly defending outright liars who made money off of putting children’s health at risk.

Because that’s the bottom line.

ANY defense of Carrey comes to “I support the rights of people to lie to make money, even when those lies outright kill children”.

End of fucking story.

If you want to not vaccinate your children because of your anti-science rhetoric, I’ll accept that - only if you get tossed in jail for attempted murder if they, or if anyone they know ends up getting sick from a disease you chose not to vaccinate against. Because attempted murder is what’s happening here. Are you willing to accept the consequences of your actions there?

12 Likes

Tell that to a Polio survivor!

11 Likes

The overwhelming scientific consensus on vaccines is neither mixed nor contradictory. If there is a lack of public trust in either the science or government-sponsored vaccination programs then it’s entirely the fault of ill-informed scaremongers like Jim Carrey.

12 Likes

They are still completely and monstrously wrong.

Good thing that there is more to reality that what some words look like.

Yes, because everything is relative, all beliefs (not just opinions!) are equally true, and all organizations are equally bad on every topic. Oh wait, none of that is true, and anti-vaxxers are irresponsible ignorant idiots who are supporting child endangerment, and deserve to be called the ignorant, dangerous, and bad people that they are. There are facts, and in this side, the anti-vaxxers, no matter what the couch their language in are provably, absolutely, and in all other ways wrong.

6 Likes

I would, but I can’t see to find one. They’re incredibly rare nowadays.
Where’s Ben Lewin?

10 Likes

It was late in the day as he rubbed his weary eyes and gazed into the harsh glow of the monitor, that ever-present panopticon gazing back at his gaze to create an endless vortex that stole his life away, crushing rods and cones and thoughts one electron at a time…

Correction made and thank you kindly.

3 Likes

Because they’re not thinking of “dead children in the streets”, They’re probably thinking I don’t want that - you haven’t convinced me yet.

We’ve reached the point where the government hasn’t convinced enough people, so it must coerce them.

Why is the Flu vaccine not mandatory?

Somewhere, someone thought I was agreeing with Jim because I posted a link that they didn’t like.

I am vaccinated, my siblings, parents and children are all vaccinated… I speak in favor of safe vaccines and I have actually helped convince people who were formerly anti-vaxxers (Hi Moire! Hi Lisa!) to vaccinate their children. Really, no kidding.

But by the standards of BoingBoing, I’m just as bad as any anti-vaxxer, because I’m against mercury in medicine, and I think driving a fossil fueled car or heating your house with fossil fuel is a far worse crime than refusing vaccination.   <shrug>   I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

2 Likes

One little problem: there is no mercury in the US childhood vaccines and hasn’t been for long enough that the last kid who got it is now old enough to drive [1]. As for aluminum, go look up how much aluminum there is in damn near everything (including newborns) and compare to the amount in vaccines.

[1] And removing it had no discernable effects on the epidemiology of supposed “vaccine damage” disorders. It did lead to a significant increase in morbidity and mortality from bacterial contamination of vaccines, though.

11 Likes