Anti-Vaxx actor denies science, calls California Gov. a 'fascist'

Sounds like you got the touch. Wonder if we can arrange a sit down with Jim Carrey?

Until you ask him (or any of the others) how “green” they would have to be before he would accept them.

Don’t be misled by Luntzist spin.

1 Like

Does he let his vaccinated friends use his bathroom?

2 Likes

I’m pro-science/pro-vaxx but, this is pretty unfair. Jim Carrey hasn’t been ‘anti-vaxx’ in a long time. He’s worried about the chemicals in some vaccines, including mercury (which is a component of a preservative called ‘Thimerosal’). As far as i’ve found in a quick google search, this is only used in flu vaccines in the US.

I personally believe the trace amounts of mercury present are a fair compromise for the benefits of vaccines, that doesn’t mean that its unreasonable to want to see those amounts lowered or, as much as possible, eliminated. Mercury is some pretty nasty stuff, Jim may be a little overly energetic about it considering how little is in the vaccine but, his concerns seem fair to me.

This is a bit sarcastic, but bear with me for a moment. Wasn’t McCarthy’s argument that her child was vaccinated and then developed autism, so the one must have caused the other? From the article:

Jim Carrey dated Jenny McCarthy for about five years before they split in 2010. In 2005, McCarthy’s son Evan was diagnosed with autism;

Did Carrey and McCarthy start dating before or after her son was diagnosed? By her own reasoning, perhaps dating Jim Carrey is what actually caused her son’s autism!

3 Likes

Pure elemental mercury is some pretty nasty stuff, but: a) that wasn’t used in vaccines, thimerosal is a mercury compound that the body can remove and is less toxic (I mean, pure elemental sodium is pretty nasty, too - try to eat it and it’ll burn a hole right fucking through you, but in the form of table salt, at worst it’ll make you thirsty), and b) you get more mercury from eating damn fish, anyways. Plus, as you mention, the stuff was removed from the mandatory childhood vaccines anyways. So the concern isn’t fair - it’s completely disingenuous and silly.

12 Likes

BTW, regarding the Mexican kids who got sick from a lot of vaccines?

Poor refrigeration in transport and storage, resulting in bacterial growth in the vaccines. Which is what thimerosal is added to prevent – and the thimerosal was removed because of freakouts about autism. So it’s more than a bit ironic that people are now freaking out over bacterial infections transmitted by vaccines without preservatives.

10 Likes

How the heck did someone call Governor Jerry Brown a… fascist… and nobody thought to…

51 comments??!?! it took 51??!?!

8 Likes

In fact, it’s downright mercurial!

6 Likes

His concerns are that the vaccines that kids are required to have amount to injecting kids with mercury. He’s mistaken, as none of those vaccines contain thimerosal. So while I wouldn’t want kids injected with mercury, either, in this case, Jim Carrey is indeed talking out of his ass.

2 Likes

I understand your position, and if you will let me use a stretched anaology…

When it comes to vaccines, even if there are dangers, we need more Spocks than Kirks. Because life isn’t like TV, and the needs of many do outweigh the needs of one.

(BTW when you were a kid did you ever break open thermometer and roll around the bits of mercury? Those were the days…)

3 Likes

There is excellent San Francisco bridge I acquired in my travels. I am desperate and need money for my Nigerian prince father who is actually real wealthy but please need help to get money out of country. Due to foreign IMF restrictions. I will please ask for just $2000 USD for depository amount and I forward the balance of the $6000000000 USD to your bank account so you may be the deposit holder and keep this money safe for my father. After he collects the balance, you may keep the bridge that I have no use for, and 25% of the monies kept safe. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul.

5 Likes

‘Wonder Why My Parents Didn’t Give Me Salk Shots?’
Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoon, 1957, by Tom Little on Dr. Jonas Salk’s vaccine against poliomyelitis (infantile paralysis).

Nineteen. Fifty. Seven. 60 years later we’re going backwards :frowning:

13 Likes

@bass please clearly state your actual opinion for the jury

What the fuck kind of non-point are you making? ‘Except’ that your rhetoric is at best super unhelpful, and at worst just plain trollery tacked on to a situation in which the kind of obfuscatory fuckery you are indulging in contributes to a climate in which children might end up dying because their parents are misinformed.

You haven’t quite distanced yourself enough though, if you were only just really honestly pointing out how someone else might interpret it as fascism, then you wouldn’t be so eager to prove that we ‘the individual’ have no sovereignty over our bodies because of scientists who hate freedom.

#sophistTroll  #justSayin

2 Likes

HAIL HYDRA!

2 Likes

Well, you can’t ignore the fact that this was heavily debated in public by elected officials, who then voted on it, and followed the results of that vote. If that’s not fascism, I don’t know what is!

10 Likes

There’s a rare time when a lefty firearm owner who supports vaccines and science and just sit back and watch the implosions. Then again I wrote off Jim Carey a loooong time ago as a nutter, this just reinforces his royal circle jerkiness.

1 Like

A friend of mine in high school had a tiny vial of mercury he’d collected from dozens of thermometers; he’d roll it around on the table during lunch or just roll it around the palm of his hand habitually. We all envied it until the palm of his hand turned a weird grey color and he stopped coming to school for awhile with strange illnesses.

5 Likes

Because we don’t have single payer healthcare in the US, so it’s hard to justify a mandatory yearly vaccine for a disease that while potentially quite deadly, doesn’t disfigure, permanently disable and kill as many children outright as, say, bacterial meningitis (required vaccine), or pertussis (required), or measles (required). There’s also the point that the Flu vaccine specifically can be rather hit and miss due to how rapidly the virus mutates. So while there’s typically good protection with the flu vaccine, it’s potentially low efficacy compared to the amazingly safe and effective required childhood vaccines put it at a disadvantage.

Finally, there’s also the fact that the flu vaccine is made with eggs and has egg protein in it. So people with egg allergies can’t get it. Which makes getting your flu shot every year more important. Not getting your flu vaccine when you can is the same as putting everyone else at an unnecessary risk thanks to your lack of action.

2 Likes

First, we’re not talking about individuals having a say about their bodies. Babies and young children have never had a right to say about their bodies as they are legally not competent to make decisions. What we are talking about is parents having rights to children’s bodies. You have never had unlimited rights to your child’s body. You are their guardian, not their owner. A guardian cannot withhold consent for lifesaving medical measures for instance. You can’t tell a doctor not to give your baby antibiotics if they have whooping cough. You can’t beat your child. You can’t starve them.

Second, no one is fucking forcing anyone to get vaccinated. You simply can’t take them to public or private schools or day care where they could pose a health risk to children which the State has an obligation to protect.

As far as being “punished”, you never had unlimited rights to go to school or daycare. There are a whole host of reasons why a school and daycare facility can deny your entry from being actively sick with a communicable disease to refusing to wear clothes.

11 Likes