Anti-Vaxxers' disregard for basic human safety also makes them lousy drivers

Originally published at: Anti-Vaxxers' disregard for basic human safety also makes them lousy drivers | Boing Boing

13 Likes

This definition of “severe traffic crash” makes me wonder if the crashes themselves were worse or if the difference lies in who is most likely to be wearing seat belts.

The reasoning behind getting a vaccination against disease (greatly reducing, though certainly not eliminating, the odds of sustaining serious bodily harm) is almost exactly the same reasoning behind wearing a seat belt.

32 Likes

awnahman-say-what

13 Likes

*neighbours

9 Likes

Natural Selection at work. Unfortunately many are able to spread their genes before being removed from the gene pool.

6 Likes

I used to say, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Now I have to add, “So, what’s the value of prevention when there is no cure?”

Martin Landau 90S GIF by filmeditor

25 Likes

See also

32 Likes

“Some people are just assholes”

Got it.

17 Likes

Nope, I wish it were only themselves they removed from the gene pool, but in both cases they kill lots of other people.

19 Likes

Now let’s see the same study, but versus “people who return shopping carts vs. abandoning them in the middle of the lot.”
I think I can guess at those numbers…

22 Likes

No. They are taking out others who probably are vaccinated, both in the car crashes and the spreading of preventable diseases. They are disease and injury spreading vermin. Oh, and fuck them.

34 Likes

On top of what docosc said, I would be extremely surprised if being anti-vaxxer or even being selfish were genetic. Letting people who learned a wrong ideology die doesn’t improve the “gene pool”, it’s just a lot of extra death thanks to that wrong. The right thing to do is stop it from being taught.

14 Likes

It’s not the gene pool that needs attention, it’s the meme (*) pool.

(*) In the original Dawkins sense of “meme”, not the Internet sense.

14 Likes

It’s almost like, “You can’t tell me what to do, Mom, guh!” isn’t a very good way for adults to live.

15 Likes

13 Likes

This use of “crash” instead of “accident” really made me appreciate the study all the more.

13 Likes

Obligatory:

13 Likes

Some people are just anti-social fuckwits. They should be put beyond the pale, literally.**

Whereas Popper said the only thing a tolerant society must not tolerate is intolerance, I think society should not tolerate anti-social behaviour. But intolerance is easier to define than ‘anti-social’ when the latter runs up against ‘rights’.

** …the English settlement fortified its boundaries by turning the fenceline into an impressive barrier: a ten-foot-deep ditch surrounded by eight-foot banks on each side and ringed by a thorny hedge. These ramparts were never meant to be an impregnable wall, but they did provide a daunting obstacle to raiders stealing across the borders for English cattle. Within the Pale ditch, settlers lived under the protection of the crown. But once you passed “the Pale,” you were outside the authority and safety of English law, and subject to all the savageries…

9 Likes

Anti-vaxxing and reckless driving fall under the same mantra: “It’s OK as long as you don’t get caught/suffer consequences/get covid.” Until you get covid/crash/get arrested/lose everything, lawbreaking, assholery, and rampant fucknuttery is just fine, even commendable to some - and sometimes still is afterwards.

7 Likes

5 Likes