Anti-vaxxers use Facebook to target pregnant women with fear and lies

“Stop Mandatory Vaccination” is a group on Facebook. Someone with more moral fiber than me, should join that group and start trolling them.
If I join that group I would start shouting and insulting them.

1 Like

That’s right. They say it works pretty well, but it’s not without its problems. You can read about it here. Then they take the data from the Ferret Model and use that to pick which strains to cultivate in the eggs. But cultivating the flu in eggs has led to some mutations that impacted the vaccine’s efficacy in the last few years. It sounds like they made changes for 2018-2019 that have helped a lot, though.

3 Likes

I would add that, the reason why anti-vaxxers are mocked and hated is that, to continue your anology, their answer to the 1/1,000,000 chance of injury during a lifetime of commuting is to drive a tank to and from work, crushing any car in their path and firing the 20 mm cannon randomly along the way.

@anon27007144 It’s not so much that vaccines contain eggs or egg products. It’s that eggs are used to produce the virus, which then gets inactivated to create the vaccine. Unlike bacterial pathogens, virus do not replicate on their own. They need host cells to replicate. To make that happen, you can either infect an animal with the virus (not much fun for the animal) and extract the replicated virus that way, or you can “infect” a living egg and collect the replicated virus that way. Chicken and duck eggs are often used for this purpose because, ethical reasons aside, they are easier to maintain than live animals and produce a relatively large amount of virus for extraction per unit volume.

8 Likes

I used to love conspiracy theories, as a fun bit of nuttiness to read about that I could safely assume would only be fringe views that wouldn’t impact the culture at large. Then they went mainstream and they weren’t so funny anymore.
Now I’m really disturbed because increasingly real events, in particular those with various Russian connections, sound like conspiracy theories…

7 Likes

The commute analogy sounds pretty good, but there are an absurd number of road choices and being on the road next to the right road helps too.

It takes about 1-2 eggs per dose and the chickens have to come from specially certified flocks to ensure that no other pathogens come through. There’s a more complex immunology section that you can easily skip, the discussion of egg based vaccines and alternatives starts about a quarter of the way through. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4514150/

2 Likes

I had flu once, thirty-odd years ago. There’s a week of my life of which I have no clear memory, it’s just one dark, empty place, with a vague recollection of utter misery.
Not something I wish to repeat, now I’m in my mid 60’s.

2 Likes

I had flu a couple times as a kid, but never as an adult until the year I let myself be talked into taking a course of prednisone to address an otherwise undiagnosable cough. Well, that was a mistake on many levels, including that it turns out that you can’t get the flu shot until you’ve been off the prednisone for some number of weeks (three? six? don’t remember…). As soon as whatever that interval was had passed, I got the flu shot, but whether because of lingering suppressed immune response from the prednisone or a vaccine/virus mismatch or whatever, I got flu. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I went from feeling kinda tired while making dinner to I-have-to-go-to bed-right-now halfway through the meal. It was surreal, in that it brought on a full body, cellular level memory of what this was and that this was NOT GOOD. Two weeks of really NOT GOOD, it turned out.

3 Likes

Good advice and I get that risk of adverse effects with medicine is a real thing. But outside of that one general fact I don’t see many “shreds of truth” from the anti-vax community!

2 Likes

If your takeaway from an air crash story is that all modern air travel inherently causes autism, then you really don’t deserve that much airtime.

You definitely shouldn’t be able to buy Facebook ads that say all planes are going to crash tomorrow, and target that ad to all people who recently bought plane tickets.

8 Likes

“I don’t vaccinate my kids because I don’t feel safe jamming a needle in my kids arm. I’d rather have a professional do it.”

5 Likes

Or these guys…

4 Likes

Right now?

3 Likes

What the hell? When did they stop enforcing proof of vaccinations when traveling to risky areas?

Bilodeau believes one of his three sons contracted measles during a family trip to Vietnam earlier this year and that it has since spread at the French-language schools his children attend.

:tired_face:

8 Likes

Anytime a parent tells me “We are not antivaccine” I know I am about to hear some serious antivaxxer bullshit.

8 Likes

Yeah. He knows better now, just in time to quiet the pitchforks and torches. They were only “spacing out the shots” to never. He didn’t know better several weeks ago when they got shots for everything except measles.

5 Likes

We will have to reintroduce the requirement of mandatory vaccination for international travel, to safeguard the lives of native and or isolated peoples, who lack of antibodies for “common diseases”.

The anti-vaxxers tourists could cause a genocide.

In Brazil you are recommended not to enter indigenous communities if you have any symptom of flu or disease. In some reservations there is even a mandatory quarantine before entering them.

1 Like

So he knows that the vaccine link to autism was fraudulent but still never vaccinated any of his kids? It’s amazing how many anti-vaxxers manage to stop being anti-vax the second one of theirs contracts a disease they shouldn’t have.

1 Like

As an added bonus (or curse) you could also check the overlap with anti-fluoridation-types.

3 Likes

I don’t know if his kid contracting measles shook him so much as that now he has to answer to other local parents. (Although why their kids probably weren’t vaccinated either needs to be looked at, and especially why the school wasn’t tracking that.)

You know there’s a questions thread, right?

3 Likes