Anti-woke author struggles to define woke on TV appearance

Yup, and it’s been “Social Justice Warriors” as well, and a half-dozen other terms. Same outrage, just recycled slightly so marks think things are getting worse.

9 Likes

Saaay, you sound like a. . . “cultural Marxist”!

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers GIF

16 Likes

america dun GIF

9 Likes

Haven’t heard that one in ages.

There’s still nothing worse than being a bigoted & violent fascist, no matter how they may try to spin it.

14 Likes

Woke does not need to be defined because everyone already knows what it means. The issue is it means different things to progressives and reactionaries.

A few years ago I was chatting with a prominent member of the Irish Workers’ Party and had to explain what the Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory was. She laughed and said “I wish it was that easy”

4 Likes

Top tier interviewer. She asked the right question, let the interviewee tie herself up in the answer and wasn’t going to let her cop out with “It would take to long for me to explain here” at the end.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Thanks for this. Hadn’t heard that acronym before.

I always thought that the term “woke” was a Matrix reference to realizing that the dream you were living wasn’t reality. I remember when the whole “blue pill” or “red pill” thing took off on sites like 4Chan or Reddit but “woke” has taken on an entirely different trajectory. Somewhat like how people use the term “bae” without completely understanding it (I’m looking at you, Buzzfeed).

220d4b3f332094bbddf07d4a30c97913

1 Like

No. It comes from Black activists, and is a reference to being aware of systemic oppression.

17 Likes

Correct.

Also @MJones524 please define what you think ‘bae’ actually means.

8 Likes

Seriously. It reminds me of when I read about Heidegger and Derrida in high school and thought I was clever. This kind of thing only works if the person trying to pull it off is indulged enough.

6 Likes

And then do “on fleek”!

bernie sanders news GIF by NowThis

10 Likes

what the hell is “equality of group result”? jeebus.

so true. i got woke by the neighbor’s leaf blowing service. it’s winter. there aren’t any leaves.

this cultural yard maintenance ideology is harming our planet and canceling my sleep! :fallen_leaf:

wait. what were we talking about again?

right. well, she can’t say it means she’s a bigot. she has to find other words to stand in for her racism, homophobia, and transphobia. it’ll be something new next year. same meaning.

4 Likes

While simultaneously flossing, whipping, nay-naying and dabbing…

11 Likes

… there we have it, folks, actual experimental proof that hugging Nazis turns you into a Nazi :grimacing:

5 Likes

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

tags: action, attitude, choice, imagination, inspiration, life, pretend

13 Likes

… not just that quote either

The whole book is on topic :+1:

10 Likes

Not exactly. More precisely, some progressives know the definition and frankly, so to many reactionaries. They are trying to redefine it to mean what it does not. We will not let them.

13 Likes