Ants vs. Raspberry: A time-lapse video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/20/ants-vs-raspberry-a-time-lapse-video.html

7 Likes

It was good to see the raspberry put up a fight at the end and emerge victorious.

11 Likes

Those are some happy ants.

3 Likes

Just this morning I was wondering, “If I died, how long would it take for ants to devour me?” (for reasons) Seeing their performance on the raspberry, I think the answer is: fucking forever. Ants really aren’t that great for speedily disassembling things, though they do seem to try. They’re better at cleaning up the leftovers.

4 Likes

What do you think the conversion rate is between a human body and raspberries, maybe a few thousand to one? You’re going to need a lot of ants, or a lot of time . . . or both.

3 Likes

For some reaon I fully expected a Raspberry Pi.

4 Likes

The, may I say obvious, solution is larger ants.

10 Likes

They don’t speak, so I assume they are happy mute ants.

15 Likes

Scrubs__rimshot__crickets

6 Likes

Yes, a real ant would have just picked that thing up and hauled it back to the colony.

I did think the macro videography was pretty awesome.

5 Likes

I was hoping to see an ant toddle off waving one of those little balls raspberries are made up of in its mandible :frowning:

3 Likes

These videos bug me. I ant sitting around waiting to see what happens to that raspberry.

2 Likes

So, you’re ant-i video?

1 Like

Another order of magnitude. A single raspberry weighs about 0.18 ounces at most. So we’re talking somewhere between 1/26,000 and 1/16,000 the mass of a 180 pound person? And the ants didn’t do too well before it dried up enough that they couldn’t manage it at all. (Same with a human body - at some point it’ll liquefy or mummify enough that they can’t eat it.) Also, skin and flesh is a lot tougher than a raspberry. So there’d be a limited window of opportunity in which the ants would need staggering numbers to have any chance of making a dent.

My SO came in just about when time was reversed, and immediately said,

“Backward, turn backward, O ants, in your flight,
Make me a raspberry just for tonight!”

2 Likes

1 Like

Thanks Ants.

Thants.

We’re rich! We’re rich!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.