Watch timelapse video of ants devouring a tangerine slice

Originally published at: Watch timelapse video of ants devouring a tangerine slice | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The reverse, at the end of the video, is how I expect tiny robots to build things. Videos like this are good, so I can get used to a future where swarmbots vomit up a replacement part, a new device or replacement limb, organ or tissue.

4 Likes

So are these guys eating the tangerine or taking it home to the family?

3 Likes

Would it make a difference if the area wasn’t lit up 24 hours/day?

2 Likes

Nope. Ever since I saw Hereditary, lots of ants on things are a no-go.

1 Like

I’m a little surprised that they didn’t clean up after themselves. It looked like there was a lot of tangerine scattered about - maybe if the author went to 50 hours we’d see that disappear as well.

4 Likes

One of our cats makes about that kind of mess in a larger scale, except it’s brown and smelly. Maybe we should feed them tangerines.

Neat video. I use peanut butter and laundry borax to get rid of them in the house. We have a lot of of them because one of our cats makes about that kind of mess in a larger scale . . .

2 Likes

Reminds me of this fun piece of cinematography from this opening sequence from Better Call Saul:

3 Likes

Even more satisfying at 2x playback speed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I imagine that’s the bits of the tangerine that weren’t useful to the ants. Likely the ‘pulp’ stuff that even we humans don’t like.

1 Like

not to be pedANTic but why did the time scale speed up? Pick a speed and stick with it. Videos like this are why some people exhibit such a skewed idea of how long it takes ants to devour something to various stages of completion.

1 Like

It’s great how they put it all back together at the end. If only we humans could do that too – replenish the oceans, reforest the Amazon, suck all that CO2 back out of the atmosphere….

1 Like

Yes, I was wondering why/how the left over debris was scattered and, for me. that pattern was more interesting. I (the ant) will take this rubbish away to a distance that will make my colleague ants farm more efficiently.

1 Like

We are all Tangerines…

That’s the same reason why I don’t want Ants in my pants. Just saying…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.