AOC asks the FBI why they give white supremacists a pass

Even then, its bullshit because the whole point is they are DOMESTIC terrorists. Terrorism is not defined as having an outside source.

19 Likes

This dude says the foreign connection is what makes it a terrorism charge, rather than a “mere” hate crime. Terror trumps hate when it comes to budget, & also unlocks all kinds of resources for surveillance. He also claims Congress has not passed a law that would connect white supremacy with international terror & allow the FBI to pursue white supremacist crimes as domestic terrorism.

5 Likes

Millineals may have killed all the things but at least they will save democracy.

2 Likes

I would love to see the parts of any state or federal criminal code which defines terrorism in such a way.

10 Likes

You are what you eat.

9 Likes

That’s been a routine thing intelligence and national level law enforcement have been pointing out for decades. Especially in and around the militia movement. Top level, broad approach wise a good lot of the reticence to do anything directly about it is down to these three events.

Back in the 90’s we got all gung ho about throwing militarized policing at these groups. It resulted in a lot of dead kids, and a reprisal attack that was the largest single terror attack on US soil up till 9/11.

And Ruby Ridge is still a white supremacist, militia movement shibboleth to this day. The Mahler Wildlife refuge thing is a good example of how we tend to handle these groups since. Those guys were all rounded up quietly on other charges on an individual basis later. And rather than starting a shootout with them, authorities waited them out and arrested groups of them as they ran. Only one person died, and that little clique has been broken up.

Unfortunately there’s still a real reticence to undertake a comprehensive response to these movements in agregate. As long as they stay relatively quiet its watch and wait. Which allows them to proliferate, and makes space for all those other ways these groups get a pass. Especially down the ladder.

10 Likes

This does seem to be the argument, but I seem to recall a foreign political organization in the mid 20th century that continues to inspire many homegrown right-wing radicals.

4 Likes

Her take on it:

22 Likes

“Unlike true (read:Muslim) terrorism, which is never in response to the US throwing military force at their political extremist groups. They hate us just cuz!”

-- some fucking idiot, I’m sure

14 Likes

Defining these issues depends on whether or not they support a political and propaganda agenda.

He cites “global jihad”?

That’s not an organization, it’s an idea, like world domination, or. . . supremacy.

21 Likes

That particular idiocy comes out of G-Dubs era decision to apply an explicitly military approach to one particular type of terrorism. The only muslim terror is terror I mean. Not just the militarized approach that back fired so horribly on domestic enforcement during the 90’s. Creates the same feedback loop, before that it was considered primarily a law enforcement/intelligence role.

Which is another reason the right wing groups get to skate. Can’t have a forever war on cultural grounds against domestic groups. So terrorism is only from foreigners and non Christians, or those controlled by their hypnotic penises.

One of the more disturbing ways these groups have freely proliferated is by joining up/inflitrating. You got your Stephen Miller’s. And you got your openly white supremacist ICE agents. Etc. That creates an additional institutional block to legitimately dealing with the big, heavily armed problem.

7 Likes

Ha! Fellow cannibal! Nice!

4 Likes

So I honestly wish this clip was longer as it doesn’t paint either her or him in a good light. He plainly says that there is no statue for classifying white nationalists as domestic terrorists, and she points out that the way everything is protects these groups from being listed as domestic terrorists. I will love to see her use this as a launch pad to introduce a way to work with the FBI or other law enforcement to make a statue that gives law enforcement a way to make them domestic terrorists.

2 Likes

An Arab Muslim guy joining any police force has to demonstrate every day how he’s not a jihadist terrorist. A white nazi joins a police force and he’s automatically a good old boy

23 Likes

Something is getting lost here. This is an honest question.
Should we put forward that:
A: Muslim extremists (who are self radicalized) should not be treated as terrorists, and should be treated with similar tactics as white supremacists - in other words not be automatically treated as terrorists,
OR
B: That white supremacists should be given the same sort of attention that Islamic terrorists are by our law enforcement.

I often find this question when people (legitimately) bring up hypocrisy. Do we think all participants should be equally punished or equally let off the hook? Kudos to AOC for standing against solitary confinement earlier this week (even if that case wasn’t so clear). Her point seemed to be compassion for all rather than harsh punishment for someone (specifically a rich white American dude) who usually gets off easy.

1 Like

Ah, nothing like good ol’ “both sides are bad” equivalencies!

In truth, she presented him with facts about how crimes committed by Muslims are classified differently, over and over again, than ones committed by white supremacists, and he lies about how they are classified. I’m not sure how that paints AOC in a poor light, unless you dislike people presenting factual statements.

26 Likes

Shh. Don’t tell anyone.

1 Like

Some of the language could be more explicit, but my read is that she says there is, indeed an avenue to terrorism charges, but they only get applied to Muslims.

6 Likes

I think you missed the point, what I expect from all my politicians is that they have been sent there to identify AND fix issues. This clip has her pointing out the failure of the the current statues, he said that white supremacists are listed as hate groups, not domestic terrorists, if you want them listed as domestic terrorists congress needs to make a rule/ statue that makes them terrorists. Can you provide the reason you say he is lying?