AOC endorses Elizabeth Warren's Big Tech breakup plan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/03/go-go-go.html

6 Likes

still breaks my heart that the CFPB has been completely neutralized by trump. I like Warren as a Senator, but wish she had done more with the CFPB.

7 Likes

Zuckerberg and co. know this anti-trust initiative is gaining momentum. The reek of fear of a breakup is strong at FB these days.

6 Likes

tumblr_inline_p4hkd8qv7U1u4z35y_500

8 Likes

Can we please stop saying “Tech Companies” and call them something that better describes their primary business model, such as “Platform Monopoly Companies”.

Every company that uses computers and the internet is not a tech company.

7 Likes

One thing I haven’t been able to determine from the press coverage is whether this includes the big ISPs.

Seems like, logically, the big ISPs (AT&T, Comcast, etc) are a part of this same problem. If “break up big tech” means local loop unbundling and AT&T having to sell off Warner, then I’m more interested.

2 Likes

Not that I am drinking the kool-aid in particular, but one thing Satya Nadella said recently which really clicked with me (paraphrasing), “Every company is now a technology company. The ones that haven’t figured this out yet are going to wake up one morning and find their business disrupted.”

Not universally true, but true enough I think. Wal-Mart in its scope and scale is possible because for decades now, they have been one of the world’s biggest technology companies. I recall in college a professor mentioning that the largest databases ever created were created to house their POS transactions (and I recall thinking it a crazy goal).

3 Likes

Step 1: Spin off Instagram
Step 2: Spin off WhatsApp
Step 3: Rest is details

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.