Europe's top trustbuster thinks it'll be impossible to break up Facebook

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/17/the-policeman-inside.html

4 Likes

download-1

4 Likes

I can see how breaking up a tech company like Facebook might be problematic. It would be neat if instead of breaking them up, they could foster competitors.

1 Like

I have a question. What does “Breaking up Facebook” entail? I support breaking up large companies but in the particular case of Facebook i don’t see anyone talk about what that might look like

2 Likes

It seems to be sound logic from her point of view:

Breaking up Facebook will be nearly impossible, because that would mean I would have to take action. And I won’t.

3 Likes

Send troops from various countries in, arrest the CEOs, and take over. These huge companies now see themselves equivalent (or superior) to nations, yet they have no obligation to the world’s peoples, only to the richest investors (often, themselves). They need to be nationalized temporarily, broken up, laws passed to prevent companies from getting so big (not to mention other laws to protect people from corporations in various ways) . . . hahahahaha, just kidding. Never happen. We are doomed to an Earth owned by Earth Inc.

How about a bigness tax, where every $ of profit over some threshold is taxed at a high rate?

1 Like
1 Like

3 Likes
  1. spin off Instagram
  2. spin off WhatsApp
  3. go from there
4 Likes

*mutters “corporate death penalty” under breath*

2 Likes

Remember how unthinkable it was to delete Myspace?

We will be fine.

3 Likes

True. Five years from now we might all laugh that we thought it was worthwhile to break up Facebook, when Boston Robotics was the real threat to humanity.

3 Likes

Where do you think the Boston robots will find their list of enemies?

4 Likes

All registered users of the BoingBing BBS. Duh. Everyone else can be reprogrammed, but happy mutants are already infected with Wrong Ideas.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.