Aphex Twin’s Monkey Drummer is almost 20 years old and it never fails to blow me away

Originally published at: Aphex Twin's Monkey Drummer is almost 20 years old and it never fails to blow me away | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I wanna give the drummer
Some of this monkey soul we got here…

6 Likes

See: “Nairobi Trio.”

3 Likes

This would be good for a “making of…” video describing the tools used to combine the individual elements into the final video.

5 Likes

Sounds like Atari 2600 samples at the end

1 Like

Everybody up out’a yo seats!

4 Likes

While tempted to post Chris Pennie (Dillinger Escape Plan) live drumming to Come To Daddy, I’ll will instead turn to D&B Cyborg Monkeyman Jojo Mayer:

8 Likes

I really love The Bad Plus’ version of Flim
Dave King is a hell of a drummer. I like that he’s not trying to do Aphex verbatim (because no human drummer could do that with this track), but his own interpretation

7 Likes

While I know some directors can’t make the jump from short format to movie length, it would have been awesome to see Chris Cunningmham direct a movie (assuming it turned out like any of his music videos). Maybe something Darren Aronofsky wrote and collaborated with.

4 Likes

Right?

Check out the stick flip on the right, at 1:45 or so. :flushed:

3 Likes

I think I found one of the arms…

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for info on what Chris Cunningham is up to these days. No joy as yet.
I read he got married and then un-married but nothing else. It’s a little curious considering the man’s obvious talents. Anyone know what he might be up to?

2 Likes

What is going on with the kick in that drum set? It looks like some kind of tube?

Looks like an electronic kick drum trigger.

1 Like

Chris Cunningham is a genius. In these infinitely more digitally advanced times, any special effects guy can create a convincing robot but at the time this Bjork video was made nobody had a clue how he achieved it…

3 Likes

youtube wwon’t let me see this. Something about age restriction.

Is this it?

[Bjork 'All Is Full of Love' #20years on Vimeo]

Yes, sorry. I should have linked to the version on Vimeo. God knows why it was age restricted on YouTube. Crazy.

1 Like

Naked female-presenting robots snogging. Your pearls remain unclutched, perhaps. But think of the children!

1 Like