Appearances of home computers in movies and TV shows

Originally published at: Appearances of home computers in movies and TV shows | Boing Boing

3 Likes

This really seems like an artifact from the very early Internet. In 2023 it’s like a site cataloging the various brands of toasters that show up in movies or TV.

6 Likes

Also just that it’s a “website dedicated to…” We’re already past the era of “twitter feed dedicated to…” not to mention the predecessor “blog dedicated to…” “Website dedicated to…” seems to be from a distant mythical past your grandpa (me) would grumble about “back when people actually BUILT things.”

10 Likes

Wasn’t there an Atari 2600 in E.T. ? I know the game sucked, but my swiss cheese memory seems to recall one in the kid’s bedroom… or the alien playing on one.

4 Likes

Had to really squint to ID the joysticks on top of the TV, but it’s there.

12 Likes

A website dedicated to websites dedicated to things

15 Likes

I don’t think it’s any worse than websites dedicated to cars in movies, or guns in movies or watches in movies. :slightly_smiling_face: Anyway, it keeps me out of trouble!

9 Likes

Our Generation’s Basement Futzing Retirement Project.

5 Likes

I really hope this list is just preliminary… it doesn’t seem possible the Amstrad has only had four appearances.

5 Likes

Always appreciate tip offs if you find any more!

6 Likes

Some uses are a bit suspect.
beyond_westworld_e5_trs80
found here

6 Likes

Strangely, the site doesn’t list one of the most visible computers in television, Jerry’s Macintosh SE in Seinfeld.

(The site does include tho that he also had a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh, but fails to list his PowerBook Duo.)

6 Likes

I’ve noticed that too, which is weird. Presumably they don’t get any product placement money when they do that. I guess the filmmakers just liked the look of the computer. But why not have the look of the computer, and get money from Apple for doing it?

4 Likes

One of the things that I always liked about the Mac cameos in Seinfeld was that those two particular oddities were among them.

4 Likes

I figure Apple isn’t paying.

I assume identifiable brands are covered because it’s a requirement of production insurance

6 Likes

The NeXTcube has 3 appearances listed, two of which are in Steve Jobs biopics, which tells you everything you need to know about the success of that product.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.