Apple bullies small company over its pear logo

The Coleco Adam. So named because “it would take a bite out of Apple”

2 Likes

I suggested that Prepear check with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. They would help out more then signing a petition. The have gone after bigger fish then apple over the years. A bit of public embarrassment from them will do harm to apple. and if need be they will represent Prepear in court

They better not go after Njal of Njal’s Saga. Old Norse lawyers had a pretty rough-and-ready code of justice.

2 Likes

The North Malden Icelandic Saga Society would like to have a word with you.

Ad_C128

They could always come and burn him in his house. And then be hunted down one by one by Kári.

1 Like

The Lemon computer

The Pearcom Pear II

1 Like

Wow, 47 posts in with no mention of the most famous Apple trademark case of all, whereby Apple was on the other end of the problem:

It’s actually really interesting, because they basically agreed never to do anything musical in the settlement. That became a problem with the Apple IIgs, which had extensive musical capability. Does building general purpose hardware capable of music make you part of the music industry? Early computing had to answer a lot of interesting legal questions like this.

Then, most infamously, Apple created the iTunes Store, which was pretty unambiguously infringing on Apple Corps. But by now they were big enough to muscle their way to victory.

I won’t comment on this pear case because I am not a lawyer and know only enough about IP law to know it is often complex and unintuitive in important ways. If there are IP lawyers here, people should listen to them instead of knee-jerk defaulting to anger. There are plenty of legit reasons to hate big tech companies, so make sure you’re backing the right horse before you put your dog in the fight. Okay, that metaphor kinda got away from me there, but you get the picture.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.