Apple buys excellent Dark Sky weather app, kills it for Android users

So Tim Cook is giving me back the $3.99 I paid for the add-free version on Andriod, right. /s

2 Likes

The weather not worrying about me is precisely why I worry about the weather.

3 Likes

There is a naming collision. There is both a Dark Sky app and a Dark Sky Weather app. I use Dark Sky for doing night time photography. It shows maps of light pollution. The weather app is what is in the OP.

2 Likes

This made me sad too. Been using the Android app for a few years now and it really is good.

1 Like

I use https://www.yr.no/ and am pretty happy with it.

1 Like

OH NOES!

Apple is killing an Android app? If only there was a way that Android users could, um, I don’t know…sideload the app even after it’s taken off the market? Granted it wont get future updates, but if it works, why not?

I mean, who would ever do something like that? And even worse, there’s absolutely NO WAY I would suggest that you go out and download and sideload the cracked version of the app, which has the premium content unlocked.

What in the world can we do???

1 Like

They’re shutting down the API as well, so even if you save an APK of the app it won’t work.

5 Likes

I am stunned. It is not like Apple at all to make a consumer-hostile decision for nebulous reasons. Huh.

2 Likes

every good thing will go down …he said
no matter what

Engulf & Devour is Apple’s standard operating procedure. eMagic corp in Europe made the best digital audio workstation software Logic and the best synthesizer patch editing software SoundDiver for Windows and Macintosh. Apple bought eMagic and scrapped the Windows versions. Apple is Fascist. I found all the old applications on Apple’s FTP site which was unsecured, open to the public (if you happened to find it; it wasn’t advertised.) Then Apple found out people were accessing it and took the FTP site offline. Steve Jobs was a bastard and his company is still run that way.

1 Like

I’m also a Weather Underground user. IBM recently bought it and made things premium that used to be free. I’m in the market for a new weather app.

2 Likes

No, it’s just regular late stage capitalism.

3 Likes

Argh! One of the most useful apps on my phone. Well, more evidence for using (+creating + supporting) FOSS wherever possible.

2 Likes

For anyone who doesn’t know, Dark Sky gives a really accurate 1 hour forecast, along the lines of “light rain starting in 15 minutes, ending 25 minutes later”. If you spent a lot of time outside, it was nice to know whether dark clouds meant it was time to pack up or just time get under a canopy.

Back before they had an API, Dark Sky was one of the apps that people with iPhones would use to lord over us Android owners.

3 Likes

it was worth it since they didn’t sell location data

I ran into a similar but worse situation with Apple causing havoc on Android users. Years ago I bought a device called Beddit that measured sleep quality over Bluetooth. It had robust apps for iPhone and Android. Apple purchased the company and soon after deleted the Android app from the store and continued to develop the iPhone version. This was an app for a physical Bluetooth device that I purchased and now retroactively they made it incompatible with Android. :frowning:

2 Likes

CRAPPLE!!

1 Like

Not Apple, nor Android-specific, but Strava killed off Bluetooth sensor support in their app because reasons. This, of course, after I spent good money on a cadence sensor and a heart rate monitor.

1 Like

Some weather apps that I’ve found handy are on F-Droid:

wX: US-specific, uses National Weather Service data.
Blitzortung Lightning Monitor: handy when I’m on a bike ride, as I can set it to alert me when there’s lightning within a set distance (I set mine to 50 miles for an icon, 25 for an audible alert).

Over on Google Play, Ventusky has a nice wind display as well as radar.

1 Like

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe

3 Likes