Apple Bye Bye

Brilliant and witty. I nodded in agreement line by line, witticism by witticism. I wonder if the solution is to switch to a Linux base, such as Ubuntu, and work with well-tested open source software.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œnemomen, post:178, topic:73409ā€]
NeXTStep ran nicely on black hardware, they didnā€™t cut corners, so for its time the 68040+DSP+SCSI was nice hardware (and you could use multiple cube logic boards inside one cube for more perf.) and by the time NeXT gave up on hardware you could run OpenStep on fast x86/Sun/PA-RISC hardware. It only got really slow when it was ported to PPC/Apple hardware where it needed a ton of tuning before it performed acceptably (the Mach kernel messaging overhead added a real performance hit on RISC hardware).[/quote]

NeXT hardware was a little slow, probably because of Display PS, but thatā€™s pretty subjective of me. I didnā€™t know you could stack Cube logic boards in the same chassis like that. Did the early versions include any SMP support?

[quote=ā€œnemomen, post:178, topic:73409ā€]
I liked OS 9ā€™s spatial Finder and still miss it, but thatā€™s about the only thing about the old OS I miss. The fact that any application error could corrupt global memory and require you reboot the computer, mixed with bugs in the memory manager from 7.6 through 8.5 that caused the entire system to crash with error 11s (8.6 finally fixed that), 8.1 corrupting IDE boot drives, and a few other massive bugs in that realm make me glad that itā€™s dead and gone. [/quote]

Oh yeah. Good times.

This. I do this all the time just for our local file/print/backup-server mini (10.6.8 Server). Sure, I could use VNC, but itā€™s so nice being able to mess in the Drupal sandbox while a movie is playing.

Fascism is already an extreme. ā€œFascist authoritarianismā€ just seems redundant, not an embellishment.

2 Likes

i hated os 6
loved 7
was indifferent to 8
thought 9 was fantastic
and have been going back and forth with 10ā€¦
like previous posters i have paid apple for the hardware and used whatever os came with it
if its not for you - move along.

1 Like

Havenā€™t needed tech support sinceā€¦2007 when I had a school tech guy download files off my laptop when my motherboard got fried. Before that, maybe once and it was Microsoftā€¦1995. They did fine.

Iā€™ve gone to the Apple store for support twice. First time was for a new battery for my very old iPod (8 GB), which they swapped out for an identical refurbished one they found in closet because they donā€™t make those kinds of batteries. Beyond awesome because I never expected this.

The second time was with my husband who isnā€™t very tech savvy. His iPhone was damaged and it barely worked although it could do some minimal things, like backing up his stuff to the cloud if needed. The Apple Store told him theyā€™d order a new one but neglected to tell him to back up his stuff (they specifically asked me if my stuff was backed up at both visits). When I went with him to pick up his phone, the guy snatched his phone and took it in the back, and then brought out his new phone. Since Apple didnā€™t tell him to back up his stuff first, he lost everything. I was kind of pissed, too, because Apple is supposed to be user friendly. Not very awesome.

3 Likes

Please, just stop. Admit you donā€™t understand fascism, and move on.

3 Likes

Seconded.

I looked into it and I was misunderstanding something someone was doing with a NeXTdimension board in a cube with 2 logic boards where it was basically running as two separate boxes. While DPS did have some overhead, those NeXTdimension boards did help as graphics accelerators. Pity they were ludicrously expensive.

Thank you @Falcor

1 Like
  1. I guess both of these things are not devices that if properly maintained will last decades performing their intended duties (although not as fast or efficient as the newest model). Barring any purposeful crippling by a manufacturer with interests in you updating said device. Imagine your anger if Ford pushed out an update that de-tuned your 2010 Mustang GT because, hey itā€™s 6 years old, so get over it.

2. Letā€™s seeā€¦whereā€™s that picture I have of youā€¦

1 Like

Fine. I donā€™t understand fascism, especially, apparently, as applied to a discussion of computer companiesā€”I admit it makes no sense to me. Perhaps someone will write a ruritanian romance which clarifies ā€¦ this.

Sounded plausible enough, though. I very dimly recalled something like this: NeXT - Wikipedia but none of the details. (Strangely, mooted by the dual G4 Mac I used in the ā€¦ '00s?) I never had the opportunity to use one with the Dimension board installed (that I can recall; the lab at UAF might have had a few). I only had the slab.

Thinking back, I think the look of OS X has done nothing by improve since Snow Leopard. I remember the pulsating buttons and gelatinous look everything had early on, and I remember cringing even then.

A pretty clear example of Steve Jobs not always making tasteful choices once he had a little horsepower to play with.

2 Likes

You know, I may not be the best person to discuss beefs on this. I hadnā€™t noticed any of the things you mention. I think Iā€™m so used to those sort of changes, that they donā€™t register. That, or Iā€™m so annoyed by the changes made in apps like Word and Adobe Acrobat that are so much more soul-crushingly awful or inefficient.

Iā€™m on El Capitan now, and definitely havenā€™t noticed extra clicks or extra steps to any actions I commonly take, but I might not be taking the same common steps as others.

What I have noticed is Appleā€™s weird tendency to remove often-used functionality from applications and not return it. For example:
ā€¢ In iPhoto, if you wanted to share photos with people, you could group them together, click ā€œshareā€, and itā€™d chunk together a simple sharing site for anyone to look at them. Then it got fancier and let you put a quick website together, linking up with iWeb, and gave you free hosting space to show off your photo site. With the new Photos app, you can only use Apple Photo Sharing or whatever itā€™s called, which only works with other people using iCloud. So, no more sharing vacation pix with mom and dad.
ā€¢ The Calendar app used to let you accept or deny meetings in-app. Thatā€™s gone now.
ā€¢ iTunes 12.3 is a steaming pile of bad UX ideas.

4 Likes

Same stuff we get from Microsoft and even Linux distrosā€¦
Why the control panel layout and admin tools have to change with every version annoys the heck out of me.
Also iTunes can DIAF already. Dunno about on the Mac but it is a pig on windows and the UI at lest for me is just crap.

4 Likes

My housemates use it on Windows. Same lousy UI filled with terrible decisions, but with the added fun of constant crashing, system-hogging, and being buggy as hell. iTunes is in desperate need of an overhaul; I saw a screenshot of the old iTunes the other day and wished that the new version was half as usable. Softwareā€™s supposed to improve, not devolve.

5 Likes

Way back when there wasnā€™t smart phones and convergence I got a Sansa mp3 player specfically to avoid iTunes, plus it had a user replaceable battery and SD card slot. I have been glad that Windows Media Player is still available in win10 as groove music is more of an almost there app and all the ā€˜replacementsā€™ want to imitate the iTunes UI.

Iā€™m in the Amen crowd on these issues. I was thinking in my previous post about the OS and its core apps. In those areas I see a problematic trend to chase after the fickle affections of the ā€œdesignā€ crowd and to also tablet-ify the OS. That particularly gets up my nose. Why would I want my pricey Macbook Pro to be crippled into an iPad. Dumb.

But the so-called iApps, iPhoto, iTunes, good god, they suck butt so bad. iTunesā€™s interface is a disaster. And I really see that as a response to all the kvetching in previous years about it being ugly, as well as an attempt to confuse me, excuse me, invite me into the cloud-based stuff. Same with iPhoto, or whatever its successor is, no LAN sharing at all. Just cloud.

Anyway, the basic OS, I still really have no beefs with. It runs just fine on a seven-year old machine (granted with RAM upgrades and and SSD). But the Apple appsā€¦ Well, Iā€™m constantly looking to see if some of my core needs can be met on Ubuntu or Mint. The answer remains (for now) no. Linux is 85-90% there, but that last bit is a sticking-point, because I need the machine for work. Which I should be doing now, actually.

2 Likes

It is the only thing I have ever sent a letter of complaint about to Apple.

It is no longer for playing music, it is a storefront.

5 Likes

in the intervening 9 minutes I have migrated to Swinsian

.thusly: https://medium.com/@senatorjohn/i-deleted-my-entire-itunes-library-and-you-can-too-d4dc586c39dc#.dvrvnz3ug

1 Like

Because those people in charge of the Control PanelSystem Preferences have to have something to do between releases? Sometimes it seems like they are trying to make things more consistent (with mixed results), sometimes it seems like they just must have been bored.

I think some team may be trying to build iTunesOS. In 10.12 I expect it will finally be able to read and send email.

2 Likes

The weird thing is that they didnā€™t when they first came out. iPhoto had slick editing features and was a very handy and intuitive way to organize your photos, and iTunes, back in the old brushed-metal days, was easy to use and very flexible. Itā€™s been very bizarre watching both of them devolve and suck more on every release. [quote=ā€œAcerPlatanoides, post:213, topic:73409ā€]
It is no longer for playing music, it is a storefront.
[/quote]
I think they desperately need to separate things again. iTunes embraced more and more functionality ā€“ first adding movies, then TV shows, then podcasts, then organizing your apps and iPhone/iPad data ā€“ and got more and more crowded and painful to navigate. With the addition of Apple Music, itā€™s exploded. I admit to being utterly baffled most of the time as to whether Iā€™m listening to my own mp3s or something streaming.

I really wish they could find a way to visually and functionally separate the Apple Music cloud service from the iTunes music player.

2 Likes