Apple Bye Bye

I’m very curious and may try it out, it looks like iTunes should look. Let us know what you think after fiddling with it.

I got so distracted by it I forgot to. That’s good.

migration 5/5
ease of use 5/5
features 4/5

it doesnt quite browse like old iTunes, and I can’t find an equalizer.

Also you don’t have to delete your itunes library, and you can keep a live mirror of it in they program. or you can fully migrate your library and nuke iTunes from orbit. I will give it a while before taking that step, but so far really quite good.

You still can create photo websites with Photos.app, you just have to create a shared photo album and then set an option to make it available as a public website. This should be much easier to do, though; the iPhone app is much clearer in this respect.

My biggest outrage over devolving software is how they took away the option of having multiple windows open in iTunes. I used it all the time to manage playlists and now there really isn’t a good way to do it at all.

2 Likes

Amen.

I realized that most of my complaints are more about the free software Apple bundles, and not so much the OS itself, which if I think about it, hasn’t given me any grief at all. So I feel a little stupid for complaining about stuff that is free. Perhaps it is finally time for me to go out and find third party applications for music, calendars, quick work with pdf and images, etc. It’s hard though because so much third party stuff also sucks.

2 Likes

#WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU SPILL LIQUIDS INSIDE YOUR ELECTRONICS

• Remove power. Yank the plug and/or battery out immediately. Do not save your document or finish your email or shut down the computer or anything else. Do not worry about the coffee or soda spilling over your table when you flip the machine upside down to get the battery, clean that up after you’ve removed power. If your machine is a laptop, obviously this is going to be disruptive, if the machine is a keyboard or other peripheral device then it’ll be less of an issue.

• if the device has removable parts that are not waterproof - such as toner cartridges, ink tanks, decorations built from alka-seltzer tablets, whatever - remove those now.

• find a bathtub, shower or laundry sink and run the cleanest water available in through the same apertures that originally received the spill. You want room temperature water, but if the only choices are cold or hot, use cold water.

• continue running water in until it is running out of every other orifice. Do this until the water runs clean and clear.

• rotate the machine through every possible orientation, pausing whenever water runs out, many times. The insides may be a maze of twisty little passages that will trap water unless you do this. Don’t only rotate it in a single direction, twist it every which way and shake it repeatedly. Don’t shake so hard that you will damage mechanical linkages inside it, or smack it against anything. Set the machine down on a towel or similar absorbent surface.

• using a disposable cloth slightly dampened (not soaking wet) with clean water, wipe off any liquid or debris from the removable parts (including batteries, if any) you took out of the machine. Do not use liquids to clean battery terminals if the battery is of very high capacity (laptop batteries are not high capacity) and do not bridge terminals while cleaning batteries.

• If you have a way to charge batteries outside the machine, do that, otherwise put batteries and other removable parts in a cool dry place once they are clean. The fridge is probably OK, but do NOT freeze batteries or other parts.

• get the machine you left sitting on a towel earlier and put it in a very dry environment (if the place you live is excessively humid or prone to mold and mildew, put it in a box with an absorbent like rice or silica gel) and wait two weeks, turning the machine over every day.

• after two weeks, carefully examine the machine to be sure it is fully dry. If you didn’t rotate it enough you may find water still runs out of it or see beads of water down inside the device. Having that water in there two weeks might corrode and ruin the device, but if the water was truly clean, probably not. Do not run the device until it is thoroughly dried or you will have wasted a lot of time for nothing.

• get the battery (if any) out of the fridge and let it warm to room temperature before inserting it. Wipe off any condensate that forms if you’re in a humid environment. Now put everything back together and try to use it. There is a very high chance that everything will be fine; if it isn’t, there’s a very high chance that your water supply is dirty, or you didn’t follow the instructions closely enough. The most common mistake is not acting quickly and decisively.

Easier, quicker, highly failure-prone version of above for keyboards only

• follow the first two steps from recipe above

• put it in a dishwasher by itself with no dishes or detergent or other additives and run a cold cycle with no drying phase. The drying phase of a dishwasher is essentially a bake oven and your device will likely melt inside, then when you plug it in it’ll damage your computer.

• if it survives the dishwasher, hang it from a line for a couple of weeks - indoors, in full sun from a window.

• see if it works now. If it doesn’t, throw it in the technology recycling bin and get a new one.

• this almost never works on complex things like laptops, but I do it for keyboards all the time. Sometimes it works; if I load the dishwasher with six or seven dumpster keyboards I always get at least one working one in the end.

#Use these methods at your own risk. It works for me!

2 Likes

One day I woke up and found my Nokia E61 dunked in a half-filled mug of sweet tea. (Oops.) Powered off and apparently dead. Liquid sloshing in the display compartment.

Took it out, immediately removed battery. Disassembled the case, removed the electronics, dried with toilet paper. Put battery in, powered on, it ran; backed up everything on sd card, powered off again. Disassembled as much as I could, washed parts in distilled water twice, then in isopropyl alcohol once, dried. Reassembled, and the thing worked, except the speaker; so handsfree use it was until the spare part arrived.

The phone worked until it was replaced with an E71, and the only reminder was a spotty pattern on the display backlight diffuser that was visible from an angle.

3 Likes

Youch, sugar’s almost as bad as salt for rotting out electronics. You were smart to use lots of water on it (and distilled water’s way better than tap water!).

2 Likes

2 words: programmed obsolescence
(google it)

Sugar is merely annoying, and difficult to get out of mechanical parts. Salt is WAY worse; chlorides on their own corrode stuff like mad, and if electric current is involved (batteries, power supplies…), the anodes dissolve actively and the metals transfer to cathodes. That can break thinner structures in perhaps even in minutes.

Coke is worse than sugar alone; contains phosphoric acid and is a good electrolyte, so some of the salt concerns apply.

2 Likes

I won’t lie, I do play the hell out of some Klondike too :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.