Apple locked this guy out of his iCloud, App Store, and Apple ID accounts

Originally published at: Apple locked this guy out of his iCloud, App Store, and Apple ID accounts | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s right. I keep forgetting I need to GTFO the Apple ecosystem.

12 Likes

It just works. Until we pull the plug.

15 Likes

If you have to keep a credit card (and in North America and much of Europe most of us have to), better not it have to issued by the same company you rely on for your core Internet services (including the e-mail the issuer uses to contact you when there’s a problem).

17 Likes

that story is even a bit more wild in that he had to call goldman sachs customer service to fix the issue (!), and that nobody within apple could figure out what the problem was.

( the automated email with the instructions to email an address at apple that doesn’t accept email is also a nice touch. )

14 Likes

Don’t sell your soul to the com-pa-ny store.

11 Likes

This is why I eschew the convenience of putting all my eggs in one basket and I don’t have any data stored in a way that it’s irretrievable. This has the added bonus of making my digital life harder to hack.

Compartmentalization FTW.

9 Likes

Just like an HOA

7 Likes

Apple sucks so hard and in so many ways.

Hey, but at least the gadgets are shiny! :roll_eyes:

Don’t Apple and other huge corporations want to make the US (and the world) one huge company store?

Or is that true already?

5 Likes

Corporate feudalism is here; it’s just not very evenly distributed.

11 Likes

This is much like the time I got mugged on Sesame Street.

images

1 Like

Summed up: F*CK APPLE.

The rent economy of the monopolists. You don’t own anything, they do, and they’ll lock you out of it at any time. This is why I buy physical copies of books these days. The free market meant free FROM rents, not this shit.

6 Likes

I watched a friend recently jump through Apple’s hoops for over a month because he had the temerity to forget his password while his Apple account’s cell-phone number was not up-to-date. Even though he had the correct e-mail and could tell them the old incorrect number and a variety of other account details, there was nothing he could do but wait until Apple deemed it OK for him to use his devices again.

Yeah, F— Apple, cloud-based accounts, software-as-a-service, DRM, and all the other rent-seeking BS being shoved down eveyone’s throats as if there is no viable alternative.

I own my stuff, and by own: I mean I’ll do whatever I damn well please with it, when and how I want to, and nobody can do a damn thing about it.

4 Likes

On one hand that sucks for that guy. But when you set up a two factor authentication system this is the kind of behavior you want from the company. They didn’t immediately disregard his second factor and hand the account over to some guy that they can’t verify.

Also, never ever use your phone as your second factor.

1 Like

I’ve got far worse stories, that’s just the most recent.

Edit: And yeah, two-factor with a mobile phone is a bad idea.

What should we be using? On an ordinary, civilian, consumer level, I mean–I’m not logging onto servers at the Pentagon here, just my email and bank account and stuff like that.

3 Likes

Hardware-based two-factor like a Yubico Security Key

As a result, we will block the device on the order from further access to the Apple iTunes and Mac App stores, and disable all accounts associated with the device purchased on the order.

If I received that email I would delete it as a phishing attempt, given the out-of-touch reference to iTunes. And the fact that it referred to an iPhone he hadn’t purchased.

3 Likes