Apple removed a teen's award-winning anti-Trump game "Bad Hombre" because they can't tell the difference between apps that criticize racism and racist apps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/18/bad-hombre.html

1 Like

“Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology—where each worker may bloom, secure from the pests purveying contradictory truths.”

21 Likes

I just reported the egregious stifling of this young lady’s 1st amendment rights to Hair Twittler’s White House Snitch Line (1-666-NYET-COLLUSION)

24 Likes

just download on my Android

10 Likes

Randomly my ass. Some fragile alt-Reich hypocrite, maybe several, reported it and these earnestly friendly jobsworths on Apple’s App review team danced to their tune like rats in Hamelin because they care more about appeasing fascists than recognizing context. They’re also morons if they think Trump resembles Hitler anywhere but on the inside.

22 Likes

Assuming that the Apple version uses the same icon, ‘some people “on the team”’ are FOS.

unnamed

14 Likes

Yet another reason I don’t own Apple products. Just it purchased from the Android store. It’s really a nice game, very professional, fun, great art style and includes links to educational materials and progressive organizations. I encourage everyone to purchase it!

Thank you for making me aware of this game, Cory!

7 Likes

Free Open Source? That doesn’t sound like Apple.

4 Likes

Purchased ($0.99) and downloaded!

3 Likes

Would it help to throw heart-shaped kisses at Apple?

8 Likes

Seriously, if I started using the ‘n’ word in an ironic way to criticize racists, boing boing might ban me.

It seems Apple has a blanket ban on depicting things like swastikas and Klan hoods, even to criticize or mock them .

That’s what you get with Zero Tolerance.

Zero Tolerance is pretty popular these days, among all kinds of disparate groups.

8 Likes

when microsoft rolled out vista I became a mac user (I loved xp) now with apples intensified doucheness Ive gone back to pc. a bit less less secure in the malware department. but easier to get all the little apps I like.

1 Like

Despite my first thoughts to the contrary, I don’t think it’s really about censorship or failure of gatekeepers (or algorithms) to understand satire. This, after I recently endured a 3-day Facebook ban for posting satirical content from the “pov” of conservatives (I literally re-posted word for word what a conservative had posted in one of the forums I moderate). Facebook, 2 days later, repealed the decision, I suppose after human review.

I think what’s going on is that Tim Cook and Apple are maneuvering through Trump’s political minefield, vis a vis the ongoing Trade War with China; Google has very little in that dog race.

[Edit]

Sure, one could also argue the evils of Apple being politicially cynical douchebags to shave off 5¢ per iPhone built by oppressed and wildly underpaid Foxconn employees.

4 Likes

I dunno, I’ve done that here and I don’t think I’ve ever been misunderstood.

2 Likes

Purchased from Google Play on general principles. Go kid, go!

4 Likes

Oh? Isn’t that how they got Darwin from FreeBSD? :thinking:

1 Like

Just remember kiddos:

By being critical of your rights being trampled, you are trampling the rights of others…

(unfortunately often the logic of Fox News and the Orange Shitgibbon’s allies)

5 Likes

And protesting vile speakers is denying them their free speech. In reality people who protest fascist speakers are the real nazis.

4 Likes

And it’s also how they got Webkit from KDE.

1 Like