Apps help women bypass states' barriers to contraception

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Somewhat related:

Drone delivers abortion pills [to Northern Ireland] as activists slam ‘outdated’ laws

[**Could Drones Delivering The Abortion Pill Help American Women Access The Care They Seek?**](http://www.bustle.com/articles/168306-could-drones-delivering-the-abortion-pill-help-american-women-access-the-care-they-seek)
14 Likes

[insert announcement of conservative federal law outlawing unregistered “medical” apps on mobile platforms and the internet here]

We wouldn’t want women bypassing the, er, health and safety regulations we’ve passed in so many states…

8 Likes

If Conservative men could get pregnant, we’d have 24/7 Free Abortion Clinics on every street corner in the USA with drive up windows.

20 Likes

That, and a mandate that the Affordable Care Act cover birth control pills.

12 Likes

Fucking Bingo!

6 Likes

The future is weirder than I ever thought it would be.

6 Likes

vindictive barriers for women seeking contraception, requiring them to get prescriptions for safe, widely taken medications.

I would not classify artificial hormones as safe enough for OTC use. But then again maybe my anecdotal evidence of my wife going into severe depression after 3 weeks on one particular formulation is acceptable. Seeing a medical professional for your first birth control selection or when switching seems reasonable at least to me.

Oh for sure - it’s such a shame that the ability to do so is taken from so many women they are forced to use work arounds like this.

12 Likes

I don’t understand. Is this app up and running, or hypothetical? The nurses pictured have only last initials, not names. Is this to protect them from stalking, or is it dummy data?

Don’t some pain relievers have a high instance of causing liver damage? Like OTC kinds?

Honestly, I don’t think anyone is saying don’t consult a doctor about birth control, rather that accessing it should be made easier, not harder. There are numerous reasons why this should be the case.

15 Likes

I don’t think you understand the purpose of this post. The issue is that women don’t have access to medically approved birth control alternatives or even trained medical professionals.

14 Likes

Tylenol does if you exceed the recommended dose and time on it, where as taking a hormonal birth control the right way can leave you in a sobbing mess on your bedroom floor and unable to function in society (or a blood calcium level about 4x higher than normal). Apparently from the linked article there are already services that will basically mail you birth control with minimal issues and no doctor visit. I get that making birth control available easily should be a priority, I’m certainly all for it, but I’ve seen how those “odd” side effects pop up on people I know - it’s scary. If you’ve been on X brand for a year, had the check up, ect… I see no issue with continuing it. But like I said, new and changing prescriptions should see a physical real in the flesh doctor.

It would be news to me if every drugstore, gas station, and Wal-Mart didn’t sell these.

Also, medication interactions. For example, most oral birth control regimens will greatly reduce the effectiveness of lamotrigine, which would greatly compound potential risk for emotional instability.

2 Likes

Okay. I was focusing upon your point

I disagree. Just because your significant other had an issue with birth control pills, the vast majority of women do not have adverse side effects; you only need to look a PDR to see listed side effects and the rates of incidence. When I was on the pill, the only concern a nurse practitioner and two doctors (all of whom prescribed them) had was about dosing. Not once was I told about possible adverse effects. Also, why do some states make it difficult for women to have access to the morning after pill?

And since you brought up condoms, why do women have to supply them?

12 Likes

Like I said, I don’t think anyone is suggesting we ditch the doctors visit altogether but once you figure out what works for you (whether that’s the pill, IUD, implant or whatever) why do you need to have a new prescription or go back to the doctor for it?

As for condoms, I think we’re talking about contraception that women can use, not that involves an active decision by other partners at the point of intercourse, right? In some cases, both are used (when a woman doesn’t have a SO, for example, but is sexually active - a condom is part of the birth control regime).

13 Likes

I’m sorry your wife had that reaction. Was it depo provera? That stuff is pretty evil. My gynocologist won’t prescribe it unless the patient really really wants it. It’s never his first, or even 4th, choice.

1 Like

Did you read the article? The apps make it possible to video conference with a medical professional, so that a woman doesn’t have to physically get herself to a doctor who will prescribe contraception. For some states, that would literally mean driving out of state to go to the doctor’s office.

5 Likes

It would be news to the entire country if every woman who wasn’t physically, mentally, and/or financially ready to be pregnant at a given time had a male sexual partner who was willing to use condoms correctly every single time.

15 Likes

I’ve got nothing for that one. I’m not a fan of sex outside of relationships so it has always mystified me why someone, male or female wouldn’t insist on a condom (and actively want to use one) if they seriously didn’t know their partner.

And yes I did read the article. I’m sure it’s fine 99% of the time to prescribe a hormonal contraceptive to a woman via facetime, but given what I’ve seen with my wife and a few other women I know at some point there will be a woman who will have an adverse reaction. I just hope it’s not one that causes permanent damage.