April 2014: warmest April on record

Fair enough. It might also depend on how this twit counted the “excess” cold from der Vortex.

Mainly, though, the claim seems to rely on the fact that the “national” corpse de press made a big deal out of the Upper-Midwest anomaly while completely ignoring the monsoons and heatwaves in the West… as well as the rest of the world.

2 Likes

Of course you could have cold weather in the contiguous U. S. and still have the hottest April on record. But of course you knew that. You just linked to that troll’s post to amuse us.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

Climate change/impact deniers take note.

This is a case where someone acknowledges they may have been mistaken on something. You may think we now think less of @andy_hilmer, but in reality we respect his intelligent, adaptable ability (and dignity) to admit possible misjudgment on something.

It’s called growing as a person. Look into it.

2 Likes

You can also see it on the big map: there’s a blue spot in North America, so that’s indeed colder than average. But look at the rest of the world: almost entirely red.

3 Likes

They do. The world is clearly getting warmer.

You can’t reach any other conclusion (well, not without seriously cherry-picking your data).

2 Likes

I’d just like to point out that the majority of people commenting on this thread right now are in the US. Not every Usian is a willfully ignorant tool of those who have the most to gain by denying climate change.

1 Like

Even looking at the areas furthest away from the big blue dot on the US map gives you a pretty good idea of what’s going on.There’s clearly a gradient away from the lakes area, where the vortex has much more of an influence. By California and Florida, the temperature is more a reflection of regular climate patterns.

Oh look, a recent weather forecast map neatly illustrates my point:

1 Like

Yes, I wasn’t very clear there. I mean message boards in general, not this one. This one is a bit different. If you follow the link above, which may have been eaten with some of the stuff I wrote, and look at the comments there, that’s what I mean.

A bit of debate on a subject seems to bring in unrelated subjects (various trigger subjects, the usual things), but those subjects only relate due to political view point.

Thus, if one has a view on, say, climate change, one now has to pick up the other associated viewpoints on unrelated subjects because the climate change view has pushed one down a political path.

Supposing I feel that climate change is real, even obvious, but I don’t really feel women should have any control over their own bodies (for some reason, bear with me), that everyone should have a gun and anyone, of any gender, should be able to spend whatever time they want with anyone else of any gender, no matter how formal they would like to make that, up to and including marriage and anything else.

I have been deliberate here, choosing views from a different sides of a political divide. But, that is what I find weird, they are all unrelated to each other. If I have a view on one subject, I’m forced to have the unrelated views imposed, as I would now be in a political ‘camp’.

While we piss about with the political bit (and related religious bit), no actual discussion is happen on important stuff. On climate change, while we get embroiled in the politics of it, we are not actually talking about how we are going to get out of this mess.

And, right there, I will have been considered to have shown my political leanings.

Yet, I have not.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.