April Ryan asks Sarah Huckabee-Sanders if the White House thinks slavery is wrong

To be fair, who but an “idiot” would work for Trump? We are seeing this now in Kelly, as we’ve seen it in many others.

9 Likes

“…in the world of Trump, spin is in, ignorance is strength and facts are nothing more than what you want them to be. By that new standard, Sanders is a pro.”

Illustration A+

(Oh, and BTW Mr. Horsey, freedom is a buck 'o five.)

13 Likes

My fear is that this horrible woman, Sarah Sanders, will end up being part of republican administrations for the next 30+ years just like the watergate criminals who were part of the Ford, Reagan, and Bush I administrations.

1 Like

Does it really matter? Can he be any more unqualified?

1 Like

lwyygzwxcwjawsjdgsfm

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s not the sort of compromise they’re thinking of.

America’s slaves gave us the Banjo, multiple forms of music, the vast bulk of what is considered distinctively Southern food, an awful lot of both folk and fine art, and a whole bunch of crops and agricultural improvements. While they were still slaves. And that’s just what ended up being recorded. Its just that some one else took credit and derived the benefit from that. Which is sort of the whole thing with slavery.

20 Likes

One of the many eye-openers from my time here in East Asia is meeting numerous Americans who believe the idea that slavery and the Civil War were unrelated, Africans apparently live in an empty field and they had no cities nor language nor culture and America provided it when they arrived, and not every slave owner was violent. That last one made it okay.

Most of these people were from the American south, obvs. But a surprising number of them were Mormon. Which stopped being surprising after I looked further into their religion.

10 Likes

I see he’s trying to distance himself from Shelby Foote…

4 Likes

You can tell by the look on her face that she’s finally realising that this job might not be worth it

1 Like

I thought it was but her loose association with someone with a loose association with a thoroughly investigated bipartisan uranium deal?

The arguments about the Civil War are so silly.

“B-but there were lots of factors! Like the economy!”
“Yeah, the economy… around slavery.”
“And politics!”
“The major political issue was slavery.”
“And the cultural divide between North and South!”
“…caused by slavery.”

14 Likes

[Sanders] “Because you don’t like history doesn’t mean that you can erase it and pretend that it didn’t happen

Statues aren’t history, they’re an interpretation of history, and those are subject to periodic reexamination. The interpretation that Lee and others were honorable men fighting for an honorable cause fails because that cause was slavery.

8 Likes

Yeah, and you should see what she’s like when she’s not stoned out of her gourd.

You mean slaves from 100+ years ago, in a very specific instance and culture of slavery.

Modern slaves have developed little to no science, and rely on culture that barely exists, developed during times when they weren’t slaves, merely prisoners or high schoolers.

In past slave owning societies, such as Rome, slaves did have some culture, but were basically broken automatons.

And are you trying to say that some good came from slavery? That’s like saying some good comes from accidental amputation or a pileup on the freeway.

1 Like

Well, that’s only slightly disingenuous.

2 Likes

“I hope April Ryan, and every other journalist not sent to that room by Rupert Murdoch, keeps asking.”

Do you? Because I can see a case to be made that every time a librul journo asks that question they’ve handed the Trumpistas a gift. SHS can smirk and walk away, or give some “I refuse to dignify etc etc” non-answer. She can deny having said slavery isn’t wrong, while at the same time the racist trolls will accurately parse her meaning and wave their little Confederate flags in delight.

I’m not seeing the win for the good guys here.

When the truth is told and there is
The dignity to remember the dead
Because as long as they are distorting the past
It means they have the intention of doing it again

2 Likes

Even a “I won’t dignify that question” would have been OK.

No I’m pointing out that slaves, whatever the context however modern or ancient. Are human beings. With culture. And that has impact on the broader culture in which they are slaves. Often in a way that doesn’t become clear till much later as slave owners and oligarchs have an active interest in supressing, hiding, And denying that. Including an economic interest.

Even Roman history is full of examples of slaves who were artists, inventors, etc. As slaves as well as after. Huge influences where brought into Roman culture by the large influx of slaves brought in from concored areas. You also see that under the various Muslim empires in North Africa, The Middle East and south Asia. Further back in history you have less record of that. Because you have less record of anything. And again those keeping the record have an active interest in not recording details of (and/or a disinterest in) slave culture and influence. We don’t have much detail about Greek helots for example.

When we talk about modern slavery were often talking about a couple of different thing, usually bracketed within human trafficking. Youll see less cultural influence out of small numbers of sex slaves in big western cities simply because they aren’t a very large or visible portion of the population. But with large slave states like Qatar you see the same old story come in. Qatar isn’t exactly advertising the cultural, social, And technological impact of their trafficked and forced workers. Meanwhile these sorts of impacts take time. So you won’t neccisarily be able to track them or understand them right now.

Your using a rather limited economic interpretation of the subject. One that doesn’t mesh with the historical, anthropological, or socialio-political records of the thing. And one that’s largely predicated on and continues the erasure of enslaved or colonized peoples.

5 Likes

2 Likes