Iowa law forbids teachers from telling students "slavery was wrong"

Originally published at: Iowa law forbids teachers from telling students "slavery was wrong" | Boing Boing

22 Likes

At this rate, it won’t be long before the baddies are able to apply the 13th Amendment to anyone they choose, and then Greg Wickenkamp and the superintendent will have the answers that they seek.

7 Likes

Nationalists: America is the land of FREEDOM! Without FREEDOM we have nothing! Personal liberty is paramount above all!

Students: So it’s bad to deny freedom to our fellow human beings, then?

Nationalists: Where did you get that woke nonsense??

55 Likes

is this the land of free speech that the GQP keeps banging on about?

18 Likes

Since RWNJs love their weird time-travel conspiracy theories so much, I suggest they look into how Mitt Romney appeared in a VA textbook from 1957.

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 11.54.18 AM

40 Likes

SSDD

35 Likes

Doesn’t forbidding the statement that slavery is bad go a lot further toward painting Iowa as fundamentally or systemically racist than allowing it would?

43 Likes

https://www.iowapbs.org/iowapathways/mypath/2708/causes-civil-war

it says here that Iowa was a free state. Why must it relitigate the civil war on the enemy’s terms?

43 Likes

It’s a new battle in the ongoing Civil War 2.0 (2.2? 3.1?), and the slave-fetishists think they are winning this time.

17 Likes

Yes it’s fucking wrong. We had a god damn war over it. Time to have a lesson plan on the facts - featuring abolitionists writings.

" Whereas, Slavery, throughout its entire existence in the United States is none other than a most barbarous, unprovoked, and unjustifiable War of one portion of its citizens upon another portion; the only conditions of which are perpetual imprisonment, and hopeless servitude or absolute extermination; in utter disregard and violation of those eternal and self-evident truths set forth in our Declaration of Independence." - John Brown

44 Likes

As poorly written and unconstitutional as that law is, it clearly doesn’t prohibit teaching that slavery is wrong, regardless of what some moron state legislator thinks. I don’t believe for a second that a claim to the contrary wouldn’t get laughed out of court (it would get laughed out of court even if the law did say it). However, that won’t matter if school administrators keep running scared from the most egregious possible interpretations of a bunch of bad laws. If no one is ever willing to stand up to these laws in court, they will gain a de facto force that they should never be granted.

25 Likes

American right-wingers on slavery:

27 Likes

The woke part is “fellow human beings”. A proper right-winger doesn’t think of anyone but themselves…maybe their children, but only as an excuse to go after people they hate.

25 Likes

The new anti-CRT States Anthem

Edit for clarity

8 Likes

The MSM will tell you the South lost the War of Northern Aggression, but that’s Fake News. The whole thing was rigged…

5 Likes

Well, the project plan says we have to move from “slavery is bad” to “slavery was a product of the time” to “slavery was good for Black people” and finally to “Black people would be better off today if slavery had never been abolished”. We can’t blame low-level bureaucrats for forgetting the milestone dates.

Btw, “we should bring back slavery” is still being workshopped, stay tuned for updates.

21 Likes

The thing about poorly written unconstitutional laws is that a thoroughly corrupted Supreme Court gets to decide; not common sense, not “we the people”.

18 Likes

They believe that if they just ignore reality, it will be re-written as they see fit, where racism isn’t real, and where it is, it’s just a few bad apples.

20 Likes

In the above article… the POINT of these poorly written laws is to give right wing white supremacists cover for challenging factual statements that they don’t like. And let’s not forget that this movement is backed up by terrorists, willing to use violence to get their way.

Yes, we should (and lots of people actually ARE) standing up to these laws. But strongly worded letters and statements will only get us so far, if the state is willing to back these people in their goal to take over state and eventually the federal government. It’s not as simple as “just pushing back will fix this” (which, let me note again, people ARE doing).

31 Likes

Very sharp teacher. His closing comments:
“Wow… Um… You know what, with the five minutes running down, I think I understand the level of support I will be provided from here on out. I appreciate your time.”
Quietly devastating.

18 Likes