Archaeologist solve mystery of huge object protruding from sand on Florida beach

Maybe they should check for cargo.

2 Likes

Same with us ship-hiders.

2 Likes

Actually I think it frequently uses cofferdams. The tech has been around since the Ancient Romans at least.

Here are a couple projects excavated like that:

https://www.crt.state.la.us/dataprojects/archaeology/bayoujasmine/digging-at-wet-sites.html

I expect it’s rather expensive, though, so maybe only used for important sites.

2 Likes

Exceedingly difficult to remove, the shipwreck will be documented by the archaeologists and then reburied for the ages.

And re-dugup by every beachgoer for the next century.

1 Like

giphy

4 Likes

As you say, cofferdams are extremely expensive. They’re only used in special circumstances. Most recording is done between tides.

1 Like

This is the name of the shadowy corporation in the sequel to Sneakers

2 Likes

A few years back my brother was on an expedition searching for the WW1 German warship SMS Scharnhorst in the South Atlantic*.
While they were searching the seabed, they also found the wreck of a wooden ship. They did send an ROV down, and found bottles made in San Francisco in (IIRC) 1872, but nothing else distinctive. They’ve no idea who the ship was, what it was carrying, where it was going, or when it sank. There’s just so many ships that disappeared between ports over hundreds of years and no easy ways to narrow it down.

*(they did find it, just on the edge of their search area, fortunately right under where they were turning around to survey another strip)

3 Likes

i did see the headline “mysterious object found buried on florida beach leaves people baffled”

i will admit to my first thought being, “shipwreck”

and my second thought being “must only be baffling or confusing to headline writers”

1 Like

mallrats-no-easter-bunny

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.