Archibishop of St Louis says Girl Scout Cookies encourage sin

In our den, I tell the parents the religious achievement is something they can do on their own. I think at the local level, it isn’t as strict, but I think it is kind of a don’t ask/don’t tell kind of thing, unfortunately.

2 Likes

That’s typically how it goes. If my fundie dad wasn’t on the hike, then we didn’t bother doing chapel service Sunday morning out on the trail.

Why waste all that time telling the supposed creator of the universe how awesome he is when we could just enjoy that universe instead.

8 Likes

Well gluttony IS a sin.

1 Like

13 Likes

Ah yes, my old former hometown in the news again for truly regrettable reasons.

Behold, a St. Louis institution, on Chouteau Avenue:

Still quite the thing, apparently–even these days.

Perhaps that church dude is simply upset that St. Louisans have upgraded over the years from the local swill of Anheuser-Busch products (yeccchhh!) and brain sandwiches. I sense that eating a lot of bovine brains and other animals’ brains in sandwiches can’t possibly be good for you cumulatively, what with bovine spongiform encephalopathy and all. Meat inspectors probably don’t do that much of a fine-toothed-comb kinda job most of the time anyway, especially if the cow in question was incubating but pre-symptomatic.

10 Likes

I remember a parent giving a presentation at a scout meeting where she stated, “You can’t be an atheist and a Boy Scout.”

“Oh, really?” I silently thought to myself, making eye contact with the speaker during her point.

(also I was frequently the person who would break up fights when one denomination member began bulling a different denomination member)

10 Likes

He mak’a da Saints cry!

3 Likes

screed

The mere fact that all these supposedly all-powerful gods require so much constant attention, adoration, and abject worship kind of seems like a dead giveaway there’s a lot of mortals pulling the marionette strings here. But we mortal believers just don’t notice it because God is so much like us. If God actually acted like an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God one suspects his behavior would be vastly different.

For one thing, he’d stop genociding us, in whole or in part; not confer favored status to one tribe over another; stop requiring this “sin,” which only appeared on the radar as something to be concerned about with Jesus’ advent, would not be a paradise show-stopper; generally, not demand the adulation/attention/delicacy that seems more appropriate to a temperamental adolescent.

/screed

14 Likes

Well… Yeah.

That’s the screed I typically trot out when people kill in the name of their god. If it’s such a powerful god, shouldn’t it be supremely insulted by humans even defending it so vehemently? It’s as if they don’t believe that god exists and can’t take care of its own business.

3 Likes

a 7-up Donut? I may need to check out your State Fair.

4 Likes

The only hope is education, education, education.

If we can just get the entire adult population of the Earth to a PhD level, we’d get the atheism percentage up to 70%.

If we could then just get everyone who had a PhD to get another PhD in theoretical physics, we could boost that figure to 90%+.

6 Likes

Eagle Scout here … I’m done having kids and had no sons. I would have had a similar dilemma. Where I was, it was don’t ask don’t tell. If you’re an atheist just keep your mouth shut about it. Kinda at odds with the honesty aspect of scout hood. Be honest, just not about this.

Kicking the girl scouts out of churches … well that’s just plain old crazy.

4 Likes

I remember when I was a kid asking at Sunday school why we just prayed for the poor people instead of helping them like Jesus said to.

29 Likes

Erm…

Jack Klobnak writes in: “I took this pix in the 1970’s. It is on Choteau
Ave. in St. Louis, which was famous in the early 20th Century for Brain
Sandwiches (use a lot of mustard). It was not uncommon for dolts to be
told to take a quarter down to Choteau to get some brains. Sadly, the
building is no longer standing.”

The location appears to have since been completely redeveloped as a hospital.

Good ol’ St. Louis, the city that turned into an armpit because most the white people abandoned it when black people got rights.

1 Like

Bishop Len Brennan. Excellent choice!

2 Likes

Great news: means more for me!!!

/I’ll get my hat

5 Likes

You know the law, “A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.”

Also the oath… I guess I don’t have any honor.

5 Likes

There’s a comedian who remarked on the 10 commandments – god spent the first 4 about himself. Talk about a complex.

5 Likes

Yes … I know it all by memory, like every eagle scout, even though I haven’t spoken the words in close to 30 years. I think you can be reverent without a belief in god – I’ll call that semantics. The oath doesn’t hold back though. Regardless, I was a scout and proud of it … just didn’t drink the kool-aid on the god part.

2 Likes

Yes, Mr. Archbishop. I’m sure you’re absolutely right.

Please take a seat over there in the dustbin of history. Right next to the inquisitors, those who opposed equal rights for woman and visible minorities, those who spread your religion by the sword, and of course those who order parents not to go to police when introduced to your church’s international pedophile exchange program. Your take on morality will fit right in!

7 Likes