Archibishop of St Louis says Girl Scout Cookies encourage sin

Great news: means more for me!!!

/I’ll get my hat

5 Likes

You know the law, “A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.”

Also the oath… I guess I don’t have any honor.

5 Likes

There’s a comedian who remarked on the 10 commandments – god spent the first 4 about himself. Talk about a complex.

5 Likes

Yes … I know it all by memory, like every eagle scout, even though I haven’t spoken the words in close to 30 years. I think you can be reverent without a belief in god – I’ll call that semantics. The oath doesn’t hold back though. Regardless, I was a scout and proud of it … just didn’t drink the kool-aid on the god part.

2 Likes

Yes, Mr. Archbishop. I’m sure you’re absolutely right.

Please take a seat over there in the dustbin of history. Right next to the inquisitors, those who opposed equal rights for woman and visible minorities, those who spread your religion by the sword, and of course those who order parents not to go to police when introduced to your church’s international pedophile exchange program. Your take on morality will fit right in!

7 Likes

[quote=“LDoBe, post:20, topic:74168, full:true”]Why waste all that time telling the supposed creator of the universe how awesome he is when we could just enjoy that universe instead.
[/quote]

Although I don’t believe in or worship any gods, if I did, that is how I’d do it.

Want to show your reverence for creation? Go climb a mountain. And take your trash with you when you leave.

10 Likes

I’m with you there on all counts.

3 Likes

30 Likes

I wonder if boy scouts encourage anything in him.

5 Likes

CRILLLLLY!!!

2 Likes

I’m guessing that your astute comment didn’t exactly get a Matthews 21:16-inspired response?

If “Archibishop” is not a word, it should be.

6 Likes

Out of curiosity(and since you seem like you’d know; unlike my “I was a cub scout for a year, maybe two?” level of experience); where is Team Scouting with respect to their original pretty creepy connection to Preparing the Nation’s Manhood for Splendid War?

As noted, my contemporary experience is basically zero; but, largely by happenstance, I ended up taking a class that had a substantial chunk of Sir Robert Baden-Powell; and at least in his day, by virtue of his background(and with a little assistance from the outbreak of WWI) ‘scouting’ was a lot closer to ROTC than it was to accumulating merit badges. I’d be interested to know how much of that has survived, and how much of that was basically an artifact of the fact that just about everything starts to look like military training when you are on a total war footing.

2 Likes

I’ll let myself out

18 Likes

As quoth Tom Lehrer:

7 Likes

Yes, Catholic girls were completely pure and innocent before the Girl Scouts came along. I guess the Girl Scouts are like that rebellious older boy with the leather jacket and cigarette pack rolled in his shirt sleeve-- way to make the Girl Scouts cool again, Bishop!

dunno, is wine part of the leather jacket/cigarette pack archetype?

1 Like

They encourage Gluttony in me, which is one of the seven deadlies. Tasty, tasty sin.

1 Like

Apparently there was once an English aristocrat who had his own private church in the grounds of his estate. The prayer books had been heavily excised on these lines:
Holy, holy, holy Lord God almighty…with all the pompous and boastful words removed. Because the aristocrat hated flummery and was convinced that God, who was a gentleman, would hate it too.

5 Likes

It’s my personal, atheistic opinion that you can tell a bullshit religion by how much it focuses on trivia. Girl scout cookies, masturbation, swearing, etc. I call bullshit.

10 Likes