Architect Ion Sorvin built a walking house

Originally published at: Architect Ion Sorvin built a walking house | Boing Boing

2 Likes

horror people GIF

11 Likes

Pfft, a house with feet.
I used to live in a house that was on stilts.

4 Likes

aw, I was hoping for a strandbeest house.

discussions about trespassing and illegal parking?

7 Likes

6 Likes

I realize that this is really meant to be some sort of performance art instead of a practical place to actually live, but no.

If you want a house that can travel from place to place, you can easily get one. They’re called “RVs” and they’ve been a thing for literal decades.

That said, it does look pretty cool.

6 Likes

Aside from being the world’s worst RV, it fails as an art piece for me as well. The statement is supposed to be about how to live without land, but you can’t. It doesn’t matter that your home can move. You still need water, sewage disposal, roads to move it over, places to park it over night, etc. all those things will have to come from someone else’s land if not yours, so it isn’t solving any problems. We have to do better at land ownership equity and laws, not pretend you can somehow live without it.

If the piece was making that point by showing how living without land is actually impossible (like if being a comically bad RV was intentional) then I would be standing and clapping. :grin:

9 Likes

It’s been in the planning stages for years.

5 Likes

Listen to ELP"s Baba Yaga while watching the walking house uselessly shamble about, and all will become clear. I mean it. Try it. :wink:

5 Likes

Reminds me of Archigram’s Walking City.

He has not built a walking house.
He has built a walking tent.
The only thing in there is a bed, perhaps a chimney?
Big deal - I have had a fire in my tent, in desperate measures, though quite safe, back in the 80’s.
Pfft … Architects.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.