Are you okay?

American Psychological Association Announces “Feeling Like Dying But Not Really Suicidal” New Baseline For Normal Mental Health

5 Likes

“From time to time, the baseline of what constitutes mental wellness needs to be revised,” said APA spokesperson Amelia Caldwell as she chewed a handful of Zoloft. “These updates compensate for changing cultural and environmental circumstances. A ‘death wish’ was once the sign of a person in deep distress, but given that the very fabric of society seems to be unraveling, coupled with stagnant wages, ever-rising expenses, and looming ecological collapse, that sentiment is now par for the course for being human in present times”

Oops GIF by Out of Office

“Death Wish” was my baseline before the fabric of society started unraveling (just kidding… kinda… :sob:)

10 Likes

I have come to call this “passively suicidal,” best described by a patient i saw who said, “i don’t want to kill myself, but if someone else tried to kill me, i wouldn’t stop them.” It was one of the saddest statements i have ever heard. Since then i have heard a number of variations on this. Just heartbreaking.

11 Likes

It took me a moment to catch the /s in the first post (edit: for clarity, the HardTimes article) there…

However, I think it’s referring obliquely to this press release

6 Likes

There’s no “/s” on mine. I understand the original article was theoretically humorous, but like lot of Onion clones, the real world makes them obsolete faster than they can print.

11 Likes

Totally get this feeling. More than 25 years ago, at my very first session with my psychiatrist, he asked if I’d harm myself. I replied “no, but if I was to fall asleep and never wake up, that would be great”.

8 Likes

Dang, it’s tough being an introvert.

After seriously considering what I wanted to say in reply to someone—what would be useful, what would be kind, what would best be left unsaid—I finally got my thoughts into words, and searched for the topic to post my reply…only to find that the topic closed an hour ago.

LOL!

Wishing all you chatty extroverts the best :heart:

18 Likes

12 Likes

A 2021 national poll found that nearly 40% of Americans had no interest in celebrating the holidays due to feelings of grief and loss.

Hopefully this will be helpful to people struggling during this time of year:

:hugs:

8 Likes

… I feel like the mass media are trying to sell me nostalgia for someone else’s childhood

I mean, I feel like that because it’s true — that’s exactly what they’re doing :thinking:

8 Likes

I just quit the second best job I’ve ever had. That was hard. The good news, I quit to take back the best job I ever quit, and also to move back to Saskatchewan after a failed attempt to build a life in one of Canada’s most expensive cities (Vancouver). My emotions are pretty mixed, but I am looking forward to going home. I have a month to wrap things up here and move, and between that and my wife’s permanent residency application being in progress, it’s gonna be a VERY busy month.

18 Likes

27 Likes

It’ll be okay, I just need to be weird and hide for a bit and eat an old sandwich from my bag.

15 Likes

…said the entire planet…

:unamused:

14 Likes

Not OK.
CBT and Lexapro just aren’t cutting it.
Everyday I make the choice to be alive.
Its not easy, but I’m still here.

26 Likes

Well done you. Keep it up. Maybe talk to your doctor about a medication change (but changing meds comes with issues too). I know it’s all. So. Fucking. Hard. But you’ve made it this far; I’m sure you can keep going.

18 Likes

Unsolicited advice you are free to ignore: transcranial magnetic stimulation can work well on treatment resistant depression. That might be an option. It has allowed me to ditch one of my meds entirely

It’s hard to make that choice. I’m glad you are and I hope it gets better for you soon.

Cat Dog GIF

22 Likes

I hate the flu. Kii-kitten caught flu A back in January. A week at home with a sick kid and I didn’t catch it. But the damned thing came back for me last week. Flu A for me and my spouse. We are vaccinated but it wasn’t enough or maybe we got it too early.

I hate the flu.
Feeling a lot better but still coughing and nose stuff. I want it to go away now. I have things to get done

20 Likes

8js68p

29 Likes

Pig Hug GIF

20 Likes