Are you the owner of this jetliner? If so, please move it immediately

My son wants me to book our Spring Break trip so that we can fly on a Super 80 (and/or a 757), while they’re still around.

They served a mean cup of hot chocolate.

IIRC, they found out the hard way with the 727 – which BTW was louder in back than the Super 80. (I never flew on a BAC-111, which I’m told was extremely loud, at least from the outside)

1 Like

Very likely the ownership structure became messy at the time the last owner/lessor went bust. Maintenance docs, manuals, etc. may have been misplaced, too (which are essential to determine value). Wading into this mess sounds cumbersome and expensive. Now it makes total sense for any interested party to wait until the aircraft is publicly auctioned off. This means they can acquire a clean legal title w/o having to spend a small fortune just for legal.

My son’s an AVGeek too. We flew down to L.A. for no good reason, right after Alaska purchased Virgin America, but before they converted the cabins and livery to AS. Purple mood lighting is pretty interesting. I thought all they needed was a fog machine, and surprise, when they spooled up the Airbus air-cycle-machine packs, it created a dense fog in the cabin for about 20 seconds (I’ve seen Airbus ACMs fog up a couple of other times).

Another interesting factoid: the last of the DC-9 based airplanes was the MD-95, which, when MD and Boeing merged, became the Boeing 717. (“717” was originally the model number for the KC-135, a modified 707 used as a military refueling aircraft).

4 Likes

Pron-air? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

-note to self, bad name for an airline.

1 Like

From that description, I’m guessing the plane’s call sign is “albatross.”

2 Likes

Yes, it’s excellent.

1 Like

Makes me wonder: do airliners have keys, and if so, how do they look and who keeps them?

3 Likes

I’ve seen a photo of one civilian (i.e., non-military) 717, presumably built for the USAF (as a KC-135) but delivered to the FAA instead. (info on registration here but it doesn’t quite correspond with the dates in the book I read)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.