Are your hands too cold to use your iphone touchscreen? Just use a sausage instead

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/12/01/are-your-hands-too-cold-to-use-your-iphone-touchscreen-just-use-a-sausage-instead.html

2 Likes

Um…there isn’t a major retailer that doesn’t sell gloves with conductive material on the index finger and thumb. For like $5.

8 Likes

I’m sure some juvenile folks have used their sausage on their touchscreen at least once.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, not legal in San Francisco anymore:

In 2012, Wiener sponsored controversial legislation banning nudity at un-permitted events, which was eventually passed by the Board.

2 Likes

…But they don’t taste particularly good. Even when dipped in mustard.

8 Likes

You could even buy them from Boing Boing’s Shop!

4 Likes

Like, all the time!

4 Likes

My uncle tried this once, and now he is no longer allowed at Panera Bread.

6 Likes

4 Likes

9 Likes
2 Likes

“Notse to self: pick up some tissues.”

In 2017 Tom Hanks teased Simone Biles about this trick. Not My Job: We Quiz Gymnast Simone Biles On The History Of The iPhone : NPR

“This video” is an extract from a one hour programme, part of a series in which Hannah Fry
(Professor Dr Hannah Fry) delves into sundry modern devices, deconstructing them to explain the origins and workings of their innards. This extract is from series 2.

They are all great.

2 Likes

I have discovered that even the foil wrapper from a candy bar will work just as well.

ETA: Discovered while snacking in bed and watching streaming TV on the tablet, when the candy wrapper brushed the screen and caused the webpage to change to whatever the wrapper had indicated.

frozen fingers, sausages, touch, tom hanks, trick…voilá, human pattern recognition;

2 Likes

I managed to successfully enroll both my nose as well as a hot dog in to Touch ID on my previous iPhone.

1 Like

Hot dog Touch ID is intriguing. It seems inconvenient to have to go to the fridge every time you want to unlock your phone, but I doubt the hotdog would last long on your coffee table. :thinking:

1 Like

I’m willing to bet that nobody in Korea has heard of this, but they are familiar with foreign news producers being pranked into thinking that stuff is popular when it’s just made up tosh designed to make the presenters looks stupid. “Toothing” and the Brass Eye “Cake” hoax are previous examples but there are many more. Fun though don’t get me wrong! For behold a woman is holding a sausage on the BBC.

After laughing, I’ll note that my problem with touchscreens is not temperature but lack of moisture. I often have to lick my finger to use a touchscreen (even in warm weather).

1 Like