These gloves will make your phone winter-friendly

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/10/these-gloves-will-make-your-ph.html

I have been wondering. Given the fact that I now have a smart phone, and I need gloves some times, is there like a paint I could use to put on the tip of my existing gloves to make it work with touch screens? What would it need to make it work?

2 Likes

http://www.anyglove.com/

Alternately sew a little finger pad area by hand with conductive thread.

5 Likes

Hmm, I wonder if a chrome or metallic paint would work.

I don’t sew, but gluing might work.

2 Likes

They should be penalized just for the name. iGlove? Really?

7 Likes

The iGloves come with a no-slip palm that improves your grip. So you could actually text while snowboarding or skiing if you ever feel the need to.

And unless you’re Travis Rice or James Bond, it comes with a complimentary Darwin Award!

[quote=“Mister44, post:2, topic:90932, full:true”]
I have been wondering. Given the fact that I now have a smart phone, and I need gloves some times, is there like a paint I could use to put on the tip of my existing gloves to make it work with touch screens? What would it need to make it work?
[/quote]I just use my fingerless moto gloves, but Texas doesn’t get that cold. I’ve also seen fingerless knit gloves, but they looked less warm than leather ones.

I do like @emo_pinata’s idea of conductive thread (though I may get me some of that AnyGlove stuff in the interim). I don’t sew either, but how hard could it be to sew a bit of thread in?

5 Likes

the conductive thread behaves like wire , connecting the outside of the glove to your skin finger capacitance , a conductive paint might work , if it were saturating the material through from the outside pad to the inside touching you ~

4 Likes

Wait - how does a STYLUS work then? It isn’t conducting to my hand, is it?

Wait, you mean I didn’t have to use human skin?

6 Likes

For UK people, Primark do a fantastic pair of leather gloves with touchscreen thumb/primary-finger pads for £9…

Got some a month ago and it’s what i’ve been trying to find for about the past 4 years :stuck_out_tongue:

Also the first pair of gloves i’ve ever owned that have properly fitted my relatively tiny hands…

Knitted gloves i’ve always found odd, they make my hands colder than simply withdrawing them into my coat sleeves…

1 Like

yes , yes it is

Just carry a conductive sausage with you.

5 Likes

How retro to see gloves without flaps for fingerprint sensors.

Those are condoms on those sausages. Very diminutive condoms.

1 Like

Simpler option, although it does involve some insulation tradeoff: cut a hole in the side of one fingertip on the glove so you can poke it out while necessary. It’s what I do with my bike gloves.

Alternately, convertible mittens:

3 Likes

those solve one of the real winter problems

2 Likes

I have these gloves for fishing, but they would also support multi-touch…

Wait, how do the gloves change the phone again?

3 Likes

Put them on the phone and you can still use the phone :confused: