Area man ran an illegal gas station, firefighters say

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/09/area-man-ran-an-illegal-gas-st.html

3 Likes

Maybe Con-mandant Clementine will pardon him for his entrepreneurial spirit.

2 Likes

Area man ran an illegal gas station

:question:

Firefighters say

Oh.

7 Likes

Area man? :thinking: I think he’s probably best described as “Gentleman”

11 Likes

I must say, I was quite surprised to see it WASN’T Florida Man at it again. That rascal! I bet he’ll want to up his merry game of shenanigans a notch or three. Who will volunteer to hold his beer and film it vertically on their ‘smart’ phone?

Ima go out on a limb here and guess that Nevada’s own Gas-station Gary is also a smoker.

6 Likes

10 Likes

operated by and servicing the local Libertarian party, naturally.
no government’s gonna tell this guy not to store enough gasoline to explode the whole neighborhood aboveground, in plastic, on his sovereign property. the market exists! don’t tell him he can’t serve it!

18 Likes

This sort of thing is pretty common in the developing world, and you see terrible incidents as a result. At least he wasn’t storing it indoors. Just think about it when someone starts to complain about all that burdensome government interference in our lives.

5 Likes

You’d be surprised what’s legal. Somehow my grandfather got a permit from the state of Georgia to install his own underground gas tank and pump for his private vehicles, a very short distance uphill from the reservoir for Atlanta’s drinking water. He just left it there when he sold the house a few years ago, too. I mean, it’s clay soil, but still…

11 Likes

Would be ironic if somebody installed a card skimmer on the illegal gas pump.

9 Likes

his superpower is geometric computation. his adventures are a gas

8 Likes

I can’t see how there could be any profit in selling gas out of your backyard unless you’re stealing the gas to begin with or skimming the CCs used to pay for it. It boggles my mind that an otherwise legit gas operation like this could ever be profitable. Maybe they use the skimmed cards to pay for the gas so it’s all profit in the end? Or at least till the govt catches up.

6 Likes

Taken care of:

Police say that in addition to the fire hazard, it’s also probably tied to credit card fraud.

5 Likes

The tiny horned demon that sits on my shoulder is whispering to me, "It wouldn’t be nearly as unsafe, or as detectable, if I figured out how to containerize the gas in 5 gallon units, seal them really tight, rinse off any residue with denatured alchohol, and charge for them like returnable bottles. Probably have a pretty specific word of mouth customer base to begin with.

If it went totally cyberpunk, filled gas cans could be items of barter kinda like sealed Tide detergent units."

Not that I would ever want to break the law, or advocate breaking the law to others…

5 Likes

“Yeah, it’s fucked up to steal gas like Cory and Trevor.”

2 Likes

There is a certain joy to be had in many SE Asian countries in buying fuel by the reusable vodka bottle for your scooter.

7 Likes

It’s funny how often the mentality of, “It’s my right to do whatever I want!” is paired with the mentality of, “Fuck it, it’s someone else’s problem now”.

23 Likes

Not much worse than solvents and camping fuel from Walmart.

4 Likes

Definitely no worse. Indeed, with the added joy of a “Stolichnaya” label.

4 Likes

he used to bake pi. in the electronics age, he sings, “rho, rho, rho.”

4 Likes