Aretha Franklin, 1942-2018

Well that was a surprise! Thanks. But what on earth did they do with the aspect ratio there? Ugh!

Oh - ETA to say I saw an Eric Clapton documentary a while back and it included a bit about when he was in US and Ahmet Ertegun asked if he’d like to sit in on an Aretha session. With footage of said session, IIRC - with Aretha at the piano. The guys she played with were all legends and here was this guy looking like some sort of flamboyant hippie (this was Cream era - think Hendrix in his best finery) and they all thought WTF - until he started to play, that is.

RESPECT will be on repeat play for a while later on.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the music.
[deep sigh]

3 Likes

One thing I can share, now that it definitely doesn’t matter anymore, is her top-secret incognito name she traveled under – well, at least she thought she was being incredibly sneaky and clever by not using her real name (except when she held court in the lobby to meet her fans, because come on, she’s Aretha).

Tabitha Queen.

8 Likes

They played most of this performance on BBC news today…

3 Likes
3 Likes

Ten years after the fact, the receptionist at our pediatrician still talks about when our then-toddler son kept going “chay chay chaaaaay” in the waiting room one visit. “The chaaaay fooooooo…”

7 Likes

I can only hope there’s a cross-over episode with Cleopatra Jones.

3 Likes
7 Likes

And Foxy Brown!

Honestly, I could tell all kinds of stories about Ms Franklin, but I feel like anything I say will seem too soon. Suffice it to say that the brief time I knew her was a highlight of my career and also one of the most difficult.

5 Likes

Living in the Detroit area, I have a good idea what you’re holding back, and agree, it is too soon. She was a wonderful talent, so let’s celebrate that part of her life, because that will be her legacy.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.