Aretha Franklin honored at Buckingham Palace by British Army during Changing of the Guard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/31/aretha-franklin-honored-at-buc.html

11 Likes

And no one’s busby fell off. :clap::clap::clap:

7 Likes

She was the Queen after all. :star_struck:

12 Likes

I believe it’s called a Bearskin; a Busby is similar but different: Bearskin - Wikipedia. Sorry, but I’m somewhat aspergerish that way :frowning:

7 Likes

8 Likes

When I saw the video earlier, all I could think was, “Is this real?” because coming from Buckingham Palace, it’s rather… unexpected.

2 Likes

Here they are doing their bit to help England win the World Cup (we didn’t).

4 Likes

Is this the whitest possible tribute? I applaud, politely.

@TheGreatParis That is a super cool sequence, but I do wonder just how horribly dangerous it was to pull off back in 1933? Neon tubes, trailing wires, darkness, dancers. :open_mouth:

@GagHalfrunt I do love that “Three Lions” just sounds so defeatist. I’m no good at the musical stuff; but is that minor cord?

4 Likes

Since they felt it appropriate to tack their recruitment advertising on the end, I feel it’s appropriate to point out they are one of the few armies in the world that accepts (and actively targets) 16-year-old recruits.

2 Likes

It’s about how the British press always attack the England football team, but the true England fans still believe that they can win.

Compare it with the Scotland song from 1998

1 Like

That’s what makes it special, that a culture so removed from the kind of music Aretha Franklin was famous for still has so much high regard for her.

9 Likes

They target younger people than that. You can join the Army Cadets at 12 years old.

1 Like

Plus we now have “Military Preparedness Academies”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.