Argentina elects far-right libertarian Javier Milei as president

Milei is bound to do well on the international scene due to his masterful grasp of the English language.

5 Likes

On the plus side, he listens to his advisors.

Also, economic policy dictated by an English mastiff will probably do less harm to the nation than blindly obeying whichever right-wing billionaire spoke to you last, which is what will happen if You-Know-Who gets re-elected in the US.

Although I bet all Milei’s mastiffs are Chicago School economists, so maybe it’s not so different really.

15 Likes

There’s precedent. William Lyon Mackenzie King, prime minister of Canada in the '30s and "40s, held seances and claimed to have communicated with “Leonardo da Vinci, Wilfrid Laurier, his dead mother, his grandfather, and several of his dead dogs, as well as the spirit of the late President Roosevelt.” These facts only came out after his death, though.

Despite that, “Weird Willie” was a fairly effective leader.

7 Likes

they already have 140% inflation, so i do get why people might want to try something new. unfortunately, the dogs seem to be fascists

9 Likes

and there’s of course ronald reagan

as the chief of staff said

Virtually every major move and decision the Reagans made during my time as White House Chief of Staff was cleared in advance with a woman in San Francisco [Quigley] who drew up horoscopes to make certain that the planets were in a favorable alignment for the enterprise

7 Likes

Ronald Reagan may have been a disaster, though? You know, if you care about humans.

9 Likes

the republican party has gone to the dogs, so…

6 Likes

One of them certainly is.

6 Likes

So basically its going to be a free for all as to which public resources will be plundered by his cronies.

5 Likes

Was disappointed but not surprised to see a bunch of posts on Reddit praising this guy. I’m sure some of the praise is a wind up, but do find it alarming that people with so many obvious red flags are rising to power within rightwing politics.

6 Likes

Are there any major right wing figures without a pile of red flags?

11 Likes

And some of the wind ups are cover for real praise.

3 Likes

Good point. I’m drawing a blank.

6 Likes

When asked what to do the with the nation’s wealth, the mastiff spirits advised pissing it up the wall.

6 Likes

He’ll get his ass kicked by the British again and depress the economy even more if he tries it.

3 Likes

Possibly the first might happen but UK’s armed forces, esp. the Royal Navy, are much depleted since Falklands round 1. Still, I gather the Argentinian forces may have be in a worse state.

I assumed (tongue very much in cheek) that the economy being depressed, and protests in the streets as a result, would be the reason he’d re-invade - purely for the distraction.

4 Likes

That is precisely why the Argentinian junta invaded the first time.

8 Likes

I remember it well! :wink:

It’s standard right-wing dictator playbook stuff.

4 Likes

It would give the UK Tories a needed boost, like the last time.

All this talk about rolling back Brexit? That calls for extreme measures!

7 Likes
2 Likes