Argentina elects far-right libertarian Javier Milei as president

Originally published at: Argentina elects far-right libertarian Javier Milei as president | Boing Boing

2 Likes

He’s looking at generations of Peronists who turned Argentina’s economy and banking system into an international laughingstock and saying “Hold my cerveza. You ain’t seen nothing yet!”

He’s not cloaking his innate cruelty behind the “effective altruism” grift, as is the vogue with so many Libertarians these days. However, he’s clearly more about fascism than “free”-market fundamentalism.

9 Likes

I look forward to the inevitable moment in 2-3 years when he gets tossed from office and the Libertarianbros here all bray that he just didn’t have enough power, runway, whatever to really make it work.

6 Likes
6 Likes

I’m sure he has the best advisors by his side.

7 Likes

They can’t complain, not when Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman and Murray Rothbard are all personally advising him (from the spirit world and/or through their canine reincarnations).

8 Likes
6 Likes

Sounds like just the sort of guy who, when times get tough and he needs a nationalist distraction from the shit his fuckwittery causes, will reinvade and conquer the FalklandsMalvinas.

If he can be persuaded to do it in the next 12 months, it could perhaps give Rish! the fillip he needs in the polls, assuming he can find enough Royal Navy resources to get down there and sort it out.

(What? It worked for Thatcher!)

9 Likes

I am pretty sure he has worse advisors…

6 Likes

Only if they buy British Airways plane tickets. The Argentine Air Force is without fighter planes and is awaiting the arrival of used F-16s from Denmark.

ETA

6 Likes

The Peronistas still control the national assembly, so he will be running up against reality on day one. He talks big but won’t be able to deliver.

5 Likes

The thing with Argentina the last few decades is that at this point, the Falklanders could fight them off with their sheep.

10 Likes

And probably they will win.

4 Likes

Milei stated that he communicates with the dogs through a mystic.

And yet he was allowed to stand, and was elected?! :thinking::roll_eyes::confounded:

6 Likes

Ah, a Christo-Libertarian. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I may be wrong, but I believe that no country in South America requires a mental health certificate for candidates.

In Latin America they say they are liberal in the economy and conservative in customs.

4 Likes

2 Likes

They will probably say that he was not a real liberal, but rather an infiltrated communist to make liberals look like incompetent demons.

5 Likes

Whoo boy. I skimmed some info on this guy. Seems like an eccentric AnCap and looks like a bad guy or undercover cop from a 70s crime drama?

It is going to be an interesting next few years there.

6 Likes

“Oi! Milei, shat it yew slaaag!”

6 Likes