Far-right takes over in Argentina

ARGENTINA SWINGS FARRR RIGHT

Argentina’s Economy Minister Sergio Massa has conceded defeat to populist Javier Milei in a fiercely polarized presidential runoff.

DANIEL POLITI and DAVID BILLERAP logo
Nov 19, 2023, 06:46 PM EST

Massa congratulated his opponent, a right-wing economist who has promised a dramatic shake-up for many of the nation’s institutions and welcomed frequent comparisons of him to former U.S. President Donald Trump.

With a Milei victory, the country will swing to the right amid discontent over soaring inflation and rising poverty, and empower a freshman lawmaker who describes himself as an anarcho-capitalist and got his start as a television talking head blasting what he called the “political caste.”

oh…crrrap… a shouty television host far-right “anarcho-capitalist” politician (aren’t anarchists against political solutions?) who styles himself after trump… let us all cry for them Argentina -sigh-

4 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr

7 Likes

Well, fuck.

More misery for the people of Argentina, I guess.

I can only hope that they’re spared the very worst ways that the right lash out when their plans inevitably fail.

7 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

611a121d-6bd1-4565-86a0-e53e21de399c_text

26ef169a-88d8-46f2-97c3-f5524ef54c6c_text

432aefa6-fe46-4242-8a4d-33b8e371c448_text

9 Likes

yet itself described as “political philosophy”; anarchism is a tricky beast, but there is certainly no such thing as an “anarcho-capitalist”. this fucker is a full-blown libertarian.

edit/ as far as I get it, the basic-statement of anarchism is “do what you want without exploiting others”; as far as libertarians go, motto is quite the opposite: “do everything you can to exploit others”.

edit/ I know, I know, the basic is of course just “no masters, no slaves”

4 Likes

Yeah, but anarcho-capitalists have nothing to do with anarchists. It was a bullshit term invented by Rothbard.

9 Likes

star trek rom GIF

3 Likes

To be fair, he’s still probably not the furthest right Argentinian government in living memory.

He still has room to be the worst, though.

Also, as far as AnCap goes:

7 Likes

Rothbard embraced “historical revisionism” as an antidote to what he perceived to be the dominant influence exerted by corrupt “court intellectuals” over mainstream historical narratives. His friend Harry Elmer Barnes, the Holocaust-denying historian, used similar language, “court historians”. Rothbard wrote that these mainstream intellectuals distorted the historical record in favor of “the state” in exchange for “wealth, power, and prestige” from the state.: Rothbard characterized the revisionist task as “penetrating the fog of lies and deception of the State and its Court Intellectuals, and to present to the public the true history”

so this is where all this facist-libertarian insanity is coming from. this guy was evil.

1 Like

More post-WWII word-fuckery on the Right. Dean Russell, 1955:

Here is a suggestion: Let those of us who love liberty trade-mark and reserve for our own use the good and honorable word “libertarian.”

FEE / Foundation for Economic Education is part of the Koch network.

6 Likes

Rothbard crowed about their word-fuckery:

One gratifying aspect of our rise to some prominence is that, for the first time in my memory, we, “our side,” had captured a crucial word from the enemy. Other words, such as “liberal,” had been originally identified with laissez-faire libertarians, but had been captured by left-wing statists, forcing us in the 1940s to call ourselves rather feebly “true” or “classical” liberals.15 “Libertarians,” in contrast, had long been simply a polite word for left-wing anarchists, that is for anti-private property anarchists, either of the communist or syndicalist variety. But now we had taken it over, and more properly from the view of etymology; since we were proponents of individual liberty and therefore of the individual’s right
to his property.

p.83:
https://cdn.mises.org/The%20Betrayal%20of%20the%20American%20Right_2.pdf

2 Likes

You take all the alleged ideology claimed as window dressing and you’re left with a fascist kleptocrat on the lines of Ferdinand Marcos and Mobutu.

Someone who will steal any kind of public resources not nailed down or sell them off to cronies. A government which is bought and sold.

4 Likes

Libertarian socialsts (who aren’t just anarchists, libertarian Marxism is a thing too) had already been around for 100 years at that point and don’t believe in trademarks, so I don’t know how that would have worked for them.

3 Likes

Barra, a 76-year-old lawyer, participated in the Tacuara Nationalist Movement, a far-right Peronist group created in 1957 that veered towards neo-Nazism during the 1960s. The movement engaged in antisemitic violence including killings, kidnappings, and vandalizing and defacing Jewish buildings.

In 1996, Barra was forced to quit as then-president Carlos Menem’s justice minister when his participation in the Tacuara movement publicly surfaced. He is considered one of the men behind Menem’s state reform, which included the privatization of state-owned companies.

What the fuck did people expect he’d do!!! Appoint middle of the road bureaucrats who will do the hard work of fixing shit? NO, he was going to appoint a bunch of nihilists who will help him blow shit up! How have people not wrapped their head around what these types want to do!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.