Argentina cult worships "King" President Milei as peso becomes worthless

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/23/argentina-cult-worships-king-president-milei-as-peso-becomes-worthless.html

9 Likes

“I didn’t expect the leopards to eat my face. But I am convinced the leopards must eat everyone’s faces otherwise Argentina will perish.”

33 Likes

Damn, this sounds soooo familiar, I could swear I’ve seen this somewhere else…

30 Likes

Bread and fucking circuses. Without the bread. And still they fall for it.

18 Likes

This circus seemed to only have a poor quality clown as entertainment too.

19 Likes

Not that it was worth much more than that before he took over. “Twice nothing is still nothing.”

8 Likes
9 Likes

Oh, so he’s already at the “pick a fight with an ex-colonial power” stage of distractions from his woeful performance. That’s quick.

13 Likes

I just hope he doesn’t decide to send troops to the Falkland/Malvinas Islands. Although the Argentine armed forces are in such a sad state of penury that they are unlikely to attempt a military adventure.

11 Likes

He’s been surprisingly sympathetic to the Falklands being British, although I expect that will end.

Probably some time around July 5.

9 Likes

The previous government was friendly to China, so Milei is ostentatiously pro-Western. He’s made a big thing out of supporting Ukraine.

5 Likes

Years ago I forgave Argentina for invading the Falklands, and I’ve been buying as much of their excellent red wine as I can drink.

How come their economy is a wreck?

7 Likes

Clearly you are not drinking enough!

I agree with you though, I avoid Chilean wine like the plague, but Argentinian is a real go to for meat.

5 Likes

What is it with the facist guys and the bad hair? Is that like a union reg?

10 Likes

“We are here to demand your immediate surrender and transfer of these islands to Argentina.”
“OK. Sure. Um… Are you the vanguard for the invasion force, or a diplomatic mission being sent ahead, or…?”
“We are the invasion force.”
“Ah. It’s just, well, we would have expected more than one boat. You look cold and hungry. Would you like some food and blankets? Come sit by our fire, we have tea.”

“Yes please.”

14 Likes

don’t take this as a defense of Milei and populism, but sometimes a planned, massive upheaval to a country is required to get it back on track.

I’m speaking as someone who lived in NZ during the 80’s and the impact of Rogernomics and Ruthanasia which were devastating at the time but were necessary for the long term survival of the country. But boy, the pain was immense.

Though there is no sign that Milei is actually doing right steps to get the country back on track.

2 Likes

Blame it on South Park

photo_2024-05-23_20-47-52

6 Likes

Were they really, though? I have heard the same claimed for other neoliberals like Reagan and Thatcher, but then the long term showed their economic policies only made things worse. I’d be very surprised if New Zealand turned out to somehow be the one place it was actually true, versus giving them credit they don’t deserve.

8 Likes

Well it got the inflation rate down from about 20% to single digits, reorganised our primary industry to make it price competitive on the international markets and reorganised our tax structure all of which are still broadly the same after 40 years but I’m sure you could make a case that it could have been done another way.

2 Likes

True, but I doubt that Britain has the capability to mount a full-scale military operation at the far end of the planet as they did in 1982 either.

That’s assuming they had the will to do so: if the Tories were still in power, they’d probably contract out defending the islands to a management consultancy firm run by some of their mates. The consultants would make a lot of PowerPoint presentations, but might use up all the available budget before launching any actual military action. Labour? I’m not sure what Labour would do, but it would probably involve committees and internal party discipline hearings. Maybe the most effective would be some jingoistic shitshow like Reform UK, who could at least whip their membership into a xenophobic fervor and send a hand-picked special forces detachment of volunteer football hooligans to fight the invaders.

I would actually be in favor of a renewed Falklands conflict if it gave us an excuse to load Prince Andrew into a helicopter and use him as a decoy for Exocet missiles, like last time. I can think of a few other British public figures I’d send with him too.

1 Like