UK election announced for July 4

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/22/uk-election-announced-for-july-4.html

10 Likes

Thank fuck for that.

25 Likes

:grinning:

But also, why not the third, or the fifth of July?
Why choose Independence Day?
Bit weird?

8 Likes

Has to be a thursday, doesn’t it?

10 Likes

Dunno, is that a rule for some reason?

2 Likes

apparently it’s more like “guidelines” [shrug]

Do general elections have to be held on Thursdays?

There is no statutory requirement for parliamentary elections to be held on Thursdays; by law, they can be held on any weekday. However, using Thursdays has become an election convention. Since 1935 every general election has been held on a Thursday.

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd

my gormless question is why wouldn’t the party of get-what-you-can isn’t holding out until elections are mandated …sometime January-2025ish ?

15 Likes

Well I’m blowed.
I’ve been voting for decades and it never crossed my mind.
But you are spot on, @theophrastus .
TIL

7 Likes

The latest thing I can think of is the so-called apology for the blood scandal of the early eighties.
Sunak promises a ton of money, ducks out the door and leaves it for the next mob to sort out.

His feckin apology though. “They got it wrong. They made mistakes.” It was your bastard team, but no sign of the word “we” from this weasel.

13 Likes

The worst polls, the outliers, already put them on ~50 seats. If that was allowed to become normal then they are likely to get politically overrun by the far right on their own turf, end up on the backbecnhes behind the SNP after all, hand Labour enough power to burn down the House of Lords, etc.

8 Likes

July 4th is presumably just another day in the UK.

That said, hopefully this will be another revolution the Tories lose.

13 Likes

IMG_4149

Too soon?

19 Likes

Not the worst idea I’ve heard today.
With the exception of one or two (John Bird springs to mind), we’d be better off with an elected upper house - yes, like a senate.

5 Likes

… aren’t there dozens of different independence days for all the former colonies?

Bound to fall on one or another

List of countries that have gained independence from the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

14 Likes

Not least because he himself was told a year ago by the guy leading the enquiry that a compensation scheme was needed and it should be set up THEN. Sunak did zilch and now the scheme has to be set up from scratch one year later, causing more delay to the victims.

10 Likes

some have noted that there’re parallel political trends on both sides of the pond ((brexit ↔ trump)). if so, please please let your “Independence Day” from conservatives be reflected that-a-way!

7 Likes

Yeah, right. (As if.)

I doubt Starmer has the balls for the extensive Lords reform that is needed.

7 Likes

Sir Keith is a fan of ennoblement…

7 Likes

A description of everything in the UK “constitution”

9 Likes

I’m glad they’re finally holding the election, but I’m also fairly discouraged – Labour is just so bad. Honestly, they make the Democrats look extremely progressive.

4 Likes

little-britain-excited

3 Likes