Arizona cops set dog on compliant arrestee

He also made some peculiar hand gestures; perhaps there’s some “cop hand signals” for things they don’t want recorded? (Except, there isn’t just one person with a body cam— so I think hand signals or blocking the camera may be paranoia on our part?)

Very Much That. If you have a lot of hammers, you’re going to start seeing nails. Plus, you have to demonstrate that it was sensible to have added all those hammers to the police budget. So many economic/psychological incentives here to err on the side of being cruel!

1 Like

Not to mention the contradictory orders right before the time when he supposedly hesitated. Cop tells him to lift his shirt up and he reaches down to keep it up with his hand.

“Keep that up! Keep that up! Get your hands up”.

I would have probably got shot because I would still be trying to obey the original order not to move.

Freezing is totally normal, expected, and the least dangerous mistake someone could make. The entitlement of the cops not to factor that in is, well, criminal. If they really read his mind and knew he was planning to run away why are they having him stand up?

And there is something fishy about how the news make it sound like the Prescott Valley PD did this, yet this video was taken in the neighboring town of Prescott, and all the officers in the video have Prescott PD patches not PVPD. I get that the chase started in PV and ended in Prescott but still seems like Prescott PD is avoiding responsibility.

It is a totally safe suburban area, geographically isolated so you can’t easily flee town. The worst that they had to deal with during the race riots was someone spray painting FTP on one building. Yet whenever there was a traffic stop I would see at least two often three cruisers on scene, total overkill. These officers would run shrieking in fear if they spent a single night on patrol in a big city. Well armed jackbooted fraidy cats.

6 Likes

I know that town because my uncle lives up there. It’s largely old white guys (and gals). They probably haven’t gotten the message yet to be afraid of the cops, and likely cheered this on. A lot of them retired from Phoenix and likely were involved in voting for Arpaio for years.

This is horrible but I’m not surprised, unfortunately.

2 Likes

His name is Daniel Shaver.

Police playing lethal games of Simon Says isn’t new. Also not new is giving contradictory commands, as that gives rise to claims the person is non-compliant with orders.

3 Likes

This mauling thing is becoming a trend:

So are the coverups but that was already a trend.
2 Likes

BTW, something to keep in mind the next time you see one of those “aww, look at the cute police doggie” copaganda posts:

8 Likes

Wow. Who’s qualifying these officers? They’re really irresponsible with their guns.

This is a big reason why I don’t feel safe around cops. They don’t have nearly the skills required to handle their weapons with anything approaching safety.

The only alternative explanation is, they love killing. But that’d be mean to the cops.

Let’s just pretend they’re incompetent. They might take offense and shoot you if you tell the truth.

3 Likes

Also the dog attack had already been captured… But I think he became conscious of what was being recorded as he got closer to it. It’s an interesting positioning for the camera.

I’m thinking there -has- to be other footage. Per the article, the police are saying he tried to hit a police car with his truck and hit another car, causing minor injury. But a kinda small town. So, do they have car cameras?

Here’s what I believe has happened. They just proudly invested in FOUR new K-9’s less than a year ago. I am guessing it’s one of these four and they have been eager to show what the K9’s can do and get them real world experience.

In hindsight from that article, there’s some pretty questionable optics with which the lawyer may have a field day.

K9 Groot, the youngest of the pack, is no longer a puppy. He’s growing into a powerful K9 crime fighting machine with a mind of his own. “He has real tenacity,” Hines said. “When he wants something he’s hard to stop.” Hines said Groot is the hardest dog he’s ever trained, because he is absolutely fearless and unwavering, no matter what is thrown at him. A bonus is that Groot is “super social” great with kids and other animals. For his age, Groot’s bite work is outstanding, Hines said.

(I couldn’t make out the dog’s name from the video). I can see the whole town supporting an expanded K9 force if there’s been a meth problem, but now it’s that very thing we’re looking at across law enforcement - resources and permissions will get used in ways citizens would not have imagined they would have.

To wrap up this long one on a lighter note…

5 Likes

Well, at least that last one (K9 Verro) was a good cop…

4 Likes

Did y’all catch that awesome sound bite, “…hands up, pretty much compliant”?

It burns me up to no end that it seems like cops tout themselves as heroes – when in reality it’s like they’re playing a video game of Candyland in God Mode.

4 Likes

Wise words. It appears to me, though, that the idea that people are a product of their environment, and that people can change, given the right support, is incongruent with a culture that is basically built on violence and unwilling to confront that fact.

FTFY. A large part of the population considers everything that makes it more of a shit show as the essence of what made America “great”.

That does not only apply to American police, but to America as a whole. Maybe it’s time to accept that America is beyond reform, and needs to be defunded?

I wouldn’t object to bad cops being subjected to their own same abusive behavior if they were found guilty by an independent review board…

2 Likes

So the guy gets to bite the cop in the ass?

1 Like

The guy’s dog…

I’d allow a stand-in if he doesn’t have one.

4 Likes

You’d think that the good cops would have a few words with the bad apples. (I hear crickets…) :smiling_imp:

May I propose a candidate or two?

2 Likes

“I just bough a wolf/malamute hybrid. Good luck!”

2 Likes

My 70+ grandfather, with not the best hearing, drove to his property (former site of the family business, at the time up for sale) one night and saw this guy hanging around the dumpster. So, he drove up to find out what was going on. Well, the guy was a plainclothes cop. He may have quickly identified himself as such and my grandfather didn’t catch it, but he showed no identification and very quickly just pulled a gun on him. The cop was briefly distracted, turned his head, and when he turned it back, he found that my grandfather was pointing a gun at him.

They stared at each other in silence for a bit, and then my grandfather simply drove forward and away. (Fortunately, the vehicle wasn’t aimed at the dumpster.) A short distance away, roadwork was being done and he pulled over to report this guy with a gun to the cops hanging out there…

The exact physical details of my grandfather’s arrest are vague, things happened too quickly for him to take it all in and there were no public eyewitness accounts, but it involved six people with at least one literally standing on him as they put the cuffs on. (A 70-year-old who can’t be brought in without half a dozen cops certainly impressed everyone else in the holding cell!)

I don’t recall any major physical injuries, and he actually managed to avoid charges with the aid of good lawyers and/or calling in some favors (I’m unsure of the details here), but it sure seems like his spirit was broken.

He started showing signs of mental decline a couple years later. He was diagnosed with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and eventually a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s was added. I can’t swear that the stress of his arrest hastened things, but it’s still my theory.

5 Likes

Other news about people who may have challenges with regard to immediate compliance:

3 Likes

To be clear here, this is not the problem. The problem is violent and trigger happy police. Non-compliance is an excuse often used to justify violence or murder.

7 Likes

Completely agree. It basically seems like the cops went to the house and asked if he had a gun and when they couldn’t confirm 100% that he didn’t have a gun, they went, “Oh well, I guess we’re murdering someone today.”

The compliance thing scares the tar out of me though because my son has sensory processing issues so that it actually takes him tens of seconds to even understand that he is being spoken to in stressful situations and there isn’t anything I can do to prepare him for such situations.

2 Likes