Arizona kills vaccine education program to placate the ignorant

Except there are umpteen diseases that can be vaccinated for in 1 non-toxic shot (like MMR) and they do not cause autism, and are well understood to not cause autism.

27 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing, comrade! Truly, did you join up just to insult the USAians on the boards? Many of us already despair the rampant willful ignorance.
eta I take it back; you didn’t specify a country, so I may be excessively touchy.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the trouble I was referring to. Everyone digs in, forgets all about E Pluribus Unum and shit goes sideways.

2 Likes

Nice, keep up the good work and keep your kids (and adults) vaccinated.

Food for thought:

6 Likes

Sadly, that’s not how it works. In our system, we choose representatives, who we hope will represent the best interests of their constituents and not those of a small angry mob. But we don’t have day-to-day choice in what they say or do. We hope for the best, but if they fail us, we wait for an opportunity to vote them out.

By no means is it a matter of “choosing not to stop it”. If we had a choice to stop idiocy as it occurs, we would have a different political climate right now.

14 Likes

Gonna leave this right here:

19 Likes

Good news: there’s an election coming up, and a Democrat has a chance to represent AZ in the Senate. Vote y’all. Tell your AZ friends to vote. Won’t directly influence State government decisions, but every bit helps. https://www.dataorbital.com/the-blog/new-survey-sinema-leads-mcsally-in-latest-survey

13 Likes

I keep hoping that Canada will look down at us in Minnesota and ask us if we’re safe at home, and when we answer that our Uncle Sam is abusing us, maybe they’ll adopt us.

8 Likes

My observation as someone who spends a lot of time reading up on what people believe on this issue is that the propaganda actually changes a lot. You’ll see people talk a lot about mercury, including the now infamous quote by Robert Kennedy (Jr.? I think?) who said something along the lines of,

I spent decades fighting to get mercury our of fish, and no one has called me anti-fish. But when I fight to get mercury out of vaccines, all of a sudden, I’m anti-vaccine.

Meanwhile vaccines that have any mercury in them are few and far between (and avoidable–in that Hg-free versions are often available), and when this gets pointed out, people immediately shift to the next talking point, leaving behind the claim that it’s only about Hg laying in the dust.

The same for valence. Multivalence is attacked simultaneously with the “sheer number of vaccinations.” Anti-vaxxers issue-hop at their convenience, and in practice use this to gish-gallop.

17 Likes

Beyond all the annoyance at the anti-vaxxers already expressed here, I’m so frustrated at the state government employees. They have a program, which someone obviously believed in enough to champion to get it this far, and as soon as they get a few whiny complaints from a tiny fraction of their constituency their response is along the lines of, “Well, this is hard now. Let’s quit.”
Gah!

14 Likes

This wouldn’t have anything to do with a Trumpian state gov’t following a course like this, would it?

5 Likes

Death, front-man of the Four Horsemen touring group, would like to be the first to thank Arizona for having the foresight and gumption to step forward and volunteer to be the staging area for their upcoming event. “Kudos! Kudos all around,” he stated, before getting into the saddle of his ashen horse and heading off toward the nearest elementary school playground.

16 Likes

Wouldn’t it be Pestilence that’d be really happy about this?

12 Likes

Ignorance is the ur-plague and education is its vaccine. Everyone should be vaccinated against ignorance on a regular basis. When a country loses its herd immunity to ignorance, it will slide into superstition, unrest and authoritarianism; it will elect unfit leaders, and decline on the world stage.

America is dying of ignorance.

18 Likes

Well, they help…

See also – and this is from my cousin who has three kids and lives in Arizona – vaccines also include some of the same chemicals Hitler was experimenting with to mass brainwash people.

I wish I was making that up.

5 Likes

That’s what I was going to put, but I decided to hit the Google and double check my understanding of who makes up the horsemen according to Christianity, since most of what I know I’ve gleaned from TV shows, movies, and books other than the Bible.

Although some interpretations differ, in most accounts, the four riders are seen as symbolizing Conquest, War, Famine, and Death, respectively.

Of those four, I feel this incredible fucking nonsense would fall within Death’s bailiwick.

ETA what makes Conquest and War different… I have no idea. Propaganda?

3 Likes

Sure. I’m used to the Terry Pratchett version of the Four Horsement: War, Famine, Pestilence and Death.

7 Likes

The problem is, with Republicans in control of the country, they’re exporting this illness (by which I mean the regressive idiocy) everywhere else.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely! That man was a treasure.

1 Like