Pacific Northwest measles outbreak spreads

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/13/pacific-northwest-measles-outb-2.html

4 Likes

I knew it was out there…

download

35 Likes

It is well past time to get rid of all nonmedical exemptions for vaccination. Your right to worship Dead Jew Onna Stick or Mommy Goddess ends where it endangers the lives of non-cultists.

Any medical exemptions need to be validated by a State Board. Otherwise all you will do is create a cottage industry in bullcrap vaccine injury diagnosis.

27 Likes

Four years of child support is a lot cheaper than 18

4 Likes

I don’t disagree, but won’t it only be other anti-vaccination people that are at risk?

2 Likes

Nope. You endanger kids who are too young and people who are immunocompromised. You also endanger people for whom the vaccine didn’twork or whose titers dropped faster than expected.

42 Likes

What @tsath said, also a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

14 Likes

The reasons why people choose not to vaccinate are complex

I disagree. There’s nothing complex about stupid.

16 Likes

Not a gigantic fan of the cartoon, which presents a false comparison

2 Likes

Won’t someone think about the medical condition of the anti-vaxx parents? I mean, they are profoundly allergic to science.

2 Likes

Not really. They are certainly different but the similarities are striking. “Don’t bring this food to school in case someone has a reaction” is similar to “Don’t bring your un-immunized child to school in case they get someone sick”.

7 Likes

Superficially, the dichotomy between insisting on inconvenience to others to spare the health of their kid and refusing vaccines to protect other people’s kids works.
The problem comes when anti-vax parents can believe that vaccines don’t work AND that they aren’t going to give them to their kid to protect someone else’s.
So in the first example everyone involved believes that peanuts can cause life-threatening anaphylaxis, but in the second the anti-vax parent refuses to believe that vaccines protect against disease, the diseases vaccines protect against can be life-threatening, AND cooperation amongst members of a population to vaccinate protects everybody.

2 Likes

Yain’t wrong but calling idiots stupid just makes them dig in on their idiocy.

1 Like

I’ve seen people rant that allergies are a myth or at least they insist 99% are fake. Even seen them say, when they were a kid everyone brought nuts to school for lunch and no one ever died. Stupid and denial never rest.

10 Likes

Says “presents a false comparison”, doesn’t say which part is false

3 Likes

My understanding is that they think the vaccines do work, but might cause side-effects. But, you know, whatever…

1 Like

Based on local news, the outbreak seems to be slowing.

While I doubt we’ll ever see the die-hard anti-vaxxers give up, Washington & Oregon are looking into cracking down on “philosophical” exemptions.

And lots of new awareness about vaccination programs:

8 Likes

Don’t forget we also have the Mumps spreading through our immigration detention facilities as well.

So, you know, if we see a Rubella outbreak:

10 Likes

I am a total vaxxer and think anti-vaxxers are dumb. Nevertheless, if I get my kid vaccinated, they will not get measles, no matter how many other kids don’t get vaccinated. Anti-vaxxers only infect each other’s kids, not kids who have been vaccinated. So, not to be too harsh about it, but I really don’t care if they vaccinate or not.

1 Like

Oh my. A Lesser Speckled Frothing Right Wing Anti-Vaxxer in the wild. Let’s observe it and see what it does.

12 Likes