Pacific Northwest measles outbreak: "like taking a pail of gasoline and throwing a lighted match into it"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/25/pacific-northwest-measles-outb.html

5 Likes

I feel strongly about this because my wife has epilepsy and mild deafness from childhood measles. It can kill. Vaccinate! The alternative is worse for everyone.

42 Likes

I know that 51 is more or less old. But I have (had? I haven’t kept up with that side of the family as they went down the conservative conspiracy hole long ago) an uncle in a wheel chair from polio as a child.

LIVING FUCKING MEMORY YOU STUPID ANTI-VAXX MORONS.

37 Likes

Don’t be a moron…vaccinate your kids. This really shouldn’t be that hard.

15 Likes

Antivaxxers are the moral equivalent of serial mass random murderers of mostly children

29 Likes

As an unhelpful aside, I did wonder what the exact reaction was for throwing a lit match into a pail of gasoline.

This was as close to an answer as I could get.

5 Likes

I’ve tried it before. I’ve not been able to get an actual mostly full bucket of gas to light from a thrown match.

Proper fuel air mixture isn’t random and liquid gas will extinguish a match.

14 Likes

This is what drives me nuts the most. We have people alive who were crippled by polio, deafened by measles. We have people alive whose siblings and friends died from these diseases. They can tell us, “Oh yeah, everyone knew someone who died.”

Someone brought it up in another thread, but there is a strain of eugenics in anti-vaxx. Like we’d be better off if the people who were going to die from measles did die. It’s just evil.

20 Likes

Yep. Gasoline is very finicky about the stoichiometric ratio at which it will combust. The headline should say, “taking a closed vessel containing a 14.7:1 air/fuel mixture and…”

15 Likes

This is one of the rare instances where public shaming might work. The photos and names of the anti-vaxxer parents in question need to be posted on a prominent billboard over the title “Danger! These Idiots Spread Disease in Our Community”.

17 Likes

Well, I guess they get their wish. Natural selection against people who believe in that sort of thing is at work in the Pacific Northwest.

3 Likes

:1st_place_medal: for use of “stoichiometric” in polite conversation.

15 Likes

“…Spread Disease And Murder At Random…”

6 Likes

Fuel, Air, Spark and Compression.

2 Likes

Sorry to question the (not yours) logic, but wouldn’t that mean the un-vaccinated kids, rather than their idiot parents?

4 Likes

Can we agree that getting a lollipop is 2nd best thing about getting a vaccination?

8 Likes

I will answer that, as the person who brought it up initially. The idea is that “If your immune system is pure enough, you don’t need vaccines. Only the weak die from infectious diseases, and therefore we would be better off if those with weak, impure systems would just die off and leave us a strong, pure gene pool to work with.”

10 Likes

And BTW, yeah that is just as evil as it sounds.

13 Likes

I think Ron Swanson gave this opinion as one of his tenets in an early episode of Parks & Recreation.

5 Likes

Yeah. Too bad they’re taking people who can’t be vaccinated for legitimate reasons.

6 Likes