Pacific Northwest measles outbreak: "like taking a pail of gasoline and throwing a lighted match into it"

4 years and 2 days ago, in The Onion:

8 Likes

I’d agree to third. The order may change but the first two are not getting sick yourself and not getting others sick.

2 Likes

Hum. I was quite young when I had measles, but I still remember it. The vaccine had not been developed at that point so I had most of the childhood diseases. What you say makes me wonder if measles was why I was seemingly always mildly deaf. Mind you, standing directly 10’ away from both Jimi Hendrix’s and The Sex Pistols’ speakers definitely did not help.

5 Likes

What do you want? Scientific truth answers or violent explosion answers?

L3NeHPJ

15 Likes

I wish TPTB would try it. They used that method for DUI arrests in the local paper, and within a few years the list of names was very short. Until then, I plan to add a search for immunization statistics to the criteria for finding a nice, safe town before my next move.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s sad. And cruel.

1 Like

Gotta concur , haven’t heard stoichiometry since my days of HS chemistry almost 30 years ago.
I may also need to start finding better educated friends as well…

It isn’t even as difficult as that. Require kids to be immunized to attend school. Require it of all schools, in order for even private schools to be accredited. Done.

If we’re talking about unvaccinated adults, require it for some other thing, like a driver’s license.

7 Likes

I remember my sister’s measles in the 1950s … she had IV fluids, antibiotics and round the clock nursing care from neighbours, grandmother and mom. In a darkened room because light made her scream in pain.

She was NOT in the hospital only because it was full of measles victims sicker than she was.

That’s not what you want for your children.

14 Likes

Yup. Did that experiment in high school science class except the gasoline was in a soup can.

Oh, I was juat fucking around in the woods. $5 bought a lot of gas and matches in 2001

4 Likes

Maybe mild deafness from measles is what allowed you to stand 10’ away from the Sex Pistols’ speakers. Did no one think of that upside of not vaccinating?!?

5 Likes

Again, increasing numbers, virtually all unvaccinated. No deaths yet, so it really doesn’t matter, right?

3 Likes

Antivaxxer logic would rather their child die than be autistic, so I doubt they’d have much concern even then.

3 Likes

Oh the irony…

It would be funny if it wasn’t kids dying.

10 Likes

if I’m not comfortable with gallows humor I wonder why exactly I keep finding myself in the gallows ?!

4 Likes

Hell, I’m 41 and father told me stories when I was a kid about how when he was growing up, every summer was filled with fear over catching the “summer plague”.

3 Likes

Amen. My dad was in the first Salk trials in Pittsburgh. Our grandma’s neighbor growing up had a withered leg form polio as a child. Our childhood was frequently spiced with stories of the polio outbreaks in that area.

5 Likes

Except they’re probably not?