Pacific Northwest measles outbreak: "like taking a pail of gasoline and throwing a lighted match into it"

1. "Failure to vaccinate can cause death."
So can vaccination. Read the VAERs database.

2. "It’s like taking a pail of gasoline and throwing a lighted match into it."
No it is not. 7,655,361 people live in Washington State. There are 25 confirmed measles cases and not one person died.

The risk of the measles causing serious harm, or death is extremely small in the United States and developed countries. The United States will always import a small number of cases from overseas.

3. Snohomish County rocks.
No they don’t. If you want people to vaccinate give them solid reasons to do so based on actual population risk of getting the disease along with the risk of serious harm. In the absence of that using fear tactics, labelling them as “Anti-Vaxxers” and talking down to them like they are idiots probably will turn them off.

Yes, and failure to vaccinate is vastly more likely to cause death, serious injuries, or simply needless suffering.

8 Likes

As the Tweet above shows, they often call themselves “anti-Vaxxers”. As the Tweet above also shows, fear is effective when their little darlings are suddenly at risk. Finally, as the Tweet above also shows, they’re often idiots (or at least highly susceptible to woo peddlers – no vaccine for that, and even if there was they wouldn’t take it).

Since they’ve established that they won’t listen to reason, Snohomish County’s approach seems as good as any others.

11 Likes

Well, according to the VAERS, vaccination can also cause: turning your child into the Hulk, Wonder Woman or Captain America. Seriously, VAERS is useful as a tool to look for associations, but it is not useful for assigning causation. The tortured usage it was put to in regards to Gardasil is informative. Yes, 70+ teenagers died following vaccination. Most dies in car wrecks, a few drownings, drug OD’s and a couple suicides. The missing info, and this is vital, is what would the expected rate of deaths in teenagers in the general, unvaccinated population be? The answer is it would actually be slightly (not statistically significantly) higher. Bad things happen. Vaccines happen. If they happen at the same time, are they related? Thus far, the simple answer is no, they are not. If they were, there would be some decrease in the incidence in unvaccinated populations. This has never been shown. The only significant difference is an increase in vaccine preventable illness in unvaccinated people. To the surprise of no one.

14 Likes

Which I had hoped for and if you ask my daughter I told her I was waiting for super powers to emerge.

7 Likes

Because of the vaccine!

Take the vaccine completely and measles quickly becomes endemic, and the first few years of that are going to be horrific.

7 Likes

I have zero idea what the ratio of anti-Vaxxing parents and homeschooled kids are, but I’m guessing it’s not negligible.

(edited to clarify) I’m not taking the piss when it comes to homeschooling. Just pointing out that, if the ratio is high enough, requiring it for public school won’t be a step toward fixing the problem, and may in fact push people into homeschooling that should never be the ones providing homeschooling.

1 Like

Wow. That is seriously effed up. Thanks for the explanation; I never would have guessed it.

4 Likes

I remember those polio vaccines, a shot in the upper thigh, it left a nickel-sized patch/mark.
And I’m pretty sure in the Marines I was
vaccinated against every disease known to
mankind. (We walked in line and got shots in both arms).
I don’t remember my own kids getting as many vaccines as babies/kids get now.
But there’s much more capability now for
contagious diseases to spread quickly,
why not embrace, “better be safe than sorry”.

1 Like

VAERS accepts any claimed report of vaccine injury as credible.

It’s not an apptopriate or useful data source to cite for anything besides public sentiment.

6 Likes

My niece has to take immune suppressants for the rest of her life since she was four months old. People who do not vaccinate their children are fucking morons toying with the life of others, including my family.

So, please, dear concern troll: PISS OFF.

sincerely,
L.

11 Likes

And to think
Jonas Salk gave away his discovery
For the Good of Mankind.
Brings a tear to the eyes
truly

well with modern care yes… that doesn’t mean they can’t go deaf, blind, or get brain damage, etc.
herd immunity only works when the herd gets vaccinated. world population stats are not equal to local community stats.

https://medium.com/@welovegv/if-99-of-china-is-vaccinated-why-do-they-have-measles-outbreaks-c32dd875bf62

4 Likes

Huh, never thought I’d see an anti-vaxxer on BB that wasn’t a brand new account.

9 Likes

The homeschooling percentage in Clark County is definitely WAY less than 22% (the rate of kids lacking vaccination).

Homeschooled kids still have to follow an accredited curriculum. Make vaccination part of accreditation, and problem solved.

4 Likes

The VAERS database has a disclaimer that says that the data “lacks details” and “can have information that contains errors”. Unfortunately VAERS is the only tool the public has access to, to see how many adverse events occur over time.

The MMR product information sheet contains a lot of details about adverse effects: \http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123789.pdf

When i read stuff like this it is downright scary:

“During the time period when ProQuad is known to be associated with an increased risk of febrile seizures, there was no imbalance between the 2 vaccination groups in the occurrence of seizures.”

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM441486.pdf

Vaccines have a risk associated with them, the public deserves the right to information to make informed decisions. Using fear tactics and name calling isn’t getting more people to vaccinate.

I’m wondering if some those who don’t vaccinate
are all Anti-Vaxxers
Or just lazy and didn’t bother,
or didn’t have health insurance, so there was no
oversight,
Or the kids aren’t in school yet and the parents
don’t know…
I’m looking to defend the defenseless.

Except hundreds of rigorous studies in the published literature showing that vaccines are largely safe and don’t cause autism.

Indeed, extremely minor, and way less likely to cause problems like blindness, deafness, sterility and death like Measles.

Your doctor will tell you about the risks. The significant ones are crying and occasionally redness and a little bit of drowsiness as the kid’s immune system figures out the challenge.

5 Likes

I was mostly referring to the one in this thread that keeps bringing up VAERS. But yeah, I assume there is a number of those who don’t vaccinate do for reasons other than “Oh noes the poisons”. I live in Australia so I have no idea how much of an impact no health insurance has, all kids vaccinations are free here. Flu Vax are free for children under 5, pregnant women, anyone with immune deficiencies, elderly, low income earners and Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders. Everyone else only pays $20.

2 Likes

You are telling lies. Stop telling lies.

4 Likes