Costa Rican measles outbreak traced to unvaccinated French tourists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/24/invasive-species.html

5 Likes

just link to this comment again…

42 Likes

Hmmm. I don’t think they’re listening.

10 Likes

I’m glad our current government extended the number of mandatory vaccines for children.
Even if some think it will increase the paranoia of anti-vaxx, at least those children will be protected.

7 Likes

4 Likes

You know, years after the fact, there are still a few people protesting seatbelt laws, and helmet laws, and why are we even surprised when “measles prevents cancer?”

Remember when you woke up one morning and the Y2k bug hadn’t killed us all, and you felt a little silly for having panicked, but you would never admit that in public? I wonder if these people will ever feel a little silly over a few dead kids? Maybe they’re crisis actors, who knows?

15 Likes

Yeah, I try to don’t be too cynical but it’s hard. We have so much people using homeopathy in France, it’s depressing.

12 Likes

maybe they like it.

1 Like

I think it’s more like they woke up after all that hard work people had done to make sure Y2K didn’t fuck everything up, conclude it’s all bullshit, and then decide never to vaccinate their kids because screw the man.

8 Likes

I mean, technically, measles does prevent cancer if you die from them before getting a chance to die from the big C.

15 Likes

I guess i need to make a library of links to my previous posts on the topic. Repetition is so boring.

10 Likes

… perhaps poor countries should institute a policy of turning away visitors who have not received the MMR and other vaccines.

Considering its much harder for poorer countries to roll out vaccinations they should definitely turn away adults and kids that aren’t current on their vaccines. It’s a severe risk to public health as far as i’m concerned

19 Likes

perhaps poor countries should institute a policy of turning away visitors who have not received the MMR and other vaccines.

Costa Rica certainly should, at least as far as kids from North America and Europe are concerned. An epidemic or pandemic would devastate the country’s primarily tourist economy and could seriously endanger the results of its own public health immunisation programme.

The authorities in Costa Rica are also more conscious about protecting the environment than Western governments are for similar reasons. The country would be screwed in short order if it allowed denialists of either kind to make decisions.

A good idea. No matter how many of these stories appear on BoingBoing, there’s always at least one moron who shows up in the comments peddling anti-vaxxer woo.

12 Likes

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/rxforsurvival/series/diseases/measles.html

Christopher Columbus and his men carried both measles and smallpox to Native Americans, triggering widespread epidemics among populations with no previous exposure, and therefore no immunity, to the disease.

We have centuries of experience with this disease and some still don’t take it seriously.

10 Likes

Obligatory?

2 Likes

simple enough, Show your Vax record with passport or go back where you came from. We don’t let people with weapons enter countries and these fools are carrying death as sure a bullet. Come to think of it proof of vax before purchase of ticket. Knuckle dragging idiots.

8 Likes

What is is with Europeans and their penchant for bringing crazy diseases to the Americas ?

2 Likes

But people don’t need vaccinations to become immune! Just look at the research!

6 Likes

Does one person make an “outbreak”? Has anyone caught it apart from the imported French case?

From the WHO

A disease outbreak is the occurrence of cases of disease in excess of what would normally be expected in a defined community, geographical area or season.

A single case of a communicable disease long absent from a population, … may also constitute an outbreak …

So in this case it could be easily be yes, measles has been 5 years absent and it was not expected to return.

8 Likes